Blue Screens on Windows 10 after upgrading an older system

Status
Not open for further replies.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
Blue Screens after upgrading computer.

My buddy had an old Dell with a wg864 motherboard and Pentium-D, running 3gb of ram (2x512mb + 2x1gb)

I had some old hardware so we upgraded it, now he has 6gb of ram (2x2gb + 2x1gb) and we changed his CPU to a Core 2 Quad q6600, all running on the same wg864 motherboard, we upgraded the bios and chipset to the latest versions and whatnot, we also formatted his HDD.

Keep in mind that the OCZ 2gb sticks of ram have different timings (5-5-5) than the samsung 1gb sticks do (at least I'm pretty sure they have different timings, I don't know what the timings are on the samsung sticks.) The thing is though, when he had 3gb of ram, the 512mb sticks had different timing than the 1gb sticks did too, and we were running Windows 10 then as well.

When we reformatted we got a USB Flash drive and downloaded Windows 10 onto it, and to save all the music he had, my buddy (who has orders of magnitude more technical expertise than I do) like, put the music into a part of the HDD that was protected from being wiped with the rest of the drive,

the blue screens that have come up are SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

and

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA_WINDOWS

Also just to reiterate, we did not install Windows 10 when we upgraded him computer a couple days ago, he had Windows 10 as soon as it was released and was running it when his computer had the old hardware too.

anybody got any ideas?

Solution

no, there are no problems with heat, the GTX 650 ti I gave him has an Arctic Cooling Accelero Mono on it too, everything has been fine. What we ended up doing was getting different ddr2 dimms. The 2gb dimms were 1066 and ran at 2.2v, with a s***ty dell motherboard there was no way to change voltage. It sucks though because for anything to work, 2 of the slots have to have his kingston 512mb dimms. So right now he has 5gb of ram and it's been stable.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

what's BSOD

Interesting note: I can't just run the system with the OCZ PC2 8500 sticks alone, either with one stick or two sticks, they run stock at 1066, I actually have to run them with the Samsung modules because the bios down clocks the OCZ sticks to 800mhz

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
Ok well, now that I know what BSOD is short for, anybody have any ideas? He doesn't get the BSOD constantly, he says it's usually when he's watching netflix or youtube. So maybe a problem with HTML5 or Silverlight?

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

no, there are no problems with heat, the GTX 650 ti I gave him has an Arctic Cooling Accelero Mono on it too, everything has been fine. What we ended up doing was getting different ddr2 dimms. The 2gb dimms were 1066 and ran at 2.2v, with a s***ty dell motherboard there was no way to change voltage. It sucks though because for anything to work, 2 of the slots have to have his kingston 512mb dimms. So right now he has 5gb of ram and it's been stable.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.