Question Blue Screens, RAM and Chrome

Oct 10, 2019
Hello, before I get to the core of the problem I'd like to tell you a bit of what is happening.

2 days ago I woke up, got on my computer and everything was fine until I was met with the Memory_Management BSOD, I didn't think too much of it and so restarted and continued to use the computer, eventually Chrome crashed and gave me the "Aw snap" error which forced me to restart my computer or else I wouldn't be able to use it.
Things only went downhill from here, the computer became more and more unstable with apps starting to crash such as discord and chrome before it started to give me various BSODs such as Memory_Management, System_Service_Exception, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and pfn_list_corrupt.

I thought maybe one of my RAM sticks was dying and so I took one out, the rest of the day the computer didn't have anymore BSODs (I played some games and they had a few hiccups but that's the only thing I noticed out of the ordinary). But now let's get to where I stand, to be insured of the RAM stick I need to send both my RAMs back and so I asked a friend of mine to lend me fairly new RAM he had. I got home yesterday, installed them, no problem until later at night it gave me another Memory_Management BSOD and later chrome crashed once more with the "Aw snap" error. P.S: Whenever I get a Memory_Management BSOD it doesn't do a crash dump since it gets stuck at 0%

This is starting to confuse me greatly so any help would be appreciated, I usually try to fix these problems by myself but I'm starting to feel my back against a wall.
Thanks in advance.

Update 1:
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I thought I'd leave it here. Apparently whenever I get a Memory_Management BSOD I always get an error in event viewer that Avast tried to do something, the error is the following:
User hive is loaded by another process (Registry Lock) Process name: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\TuneupSvc.exe, PID: 3828, ProfSvc PID: 1812.

And this doesn't just happen with Avast, whenever Google Chrome crashes with the "Aw snap" I also get a similar error by reading the crash dump, the following being:
Exception error -
The Thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access. 0xC0000005

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is related but considering they both happen when these issues happen it's not a coincidence is it?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 10 Master
you should test all the ram with Memtest
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

You can use it to test slots as well, so if all the sticks work fine in slot 1, test a stick in the others as it sounds like errors only occur if you have 2 sticks

Windows sees more than just ram as memory. It also includes your hdd as Windows sees the page file, which lives on the boot drive, as memory too. So have you changed the size of the page file? as that is one reason why you might not get dumps

What drives do you have? Try downloading HD sentinel and in the disk menu, run any tests you can - https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

Oct 10, 2019
I tried Memtest on my RAM sticks (the ones I assumed one of them was faulty) and it returned no errors but I'm going to do the same with my friend's. I don't think the issue is the slots since I installed the new RAM on both the unused slots, they had never been used before. I also increased the size of the page file yesterday before I went to bed from 2,5gb to 3gb to see if it helps.

My drives are:
CT500BX100SSD1
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332

Also added some new info to the main post.

Thanks for the help so far.

Colif

Win 10 Master
Most motherboards have slots you are meant to use if you have 2 sticks, and some slots that are only meant to be used if you have more than 2 sticks.

What motherboard do you have?

your page file has to be at least same size as your ram so that it can create a memory dump. So if you have 16gb, make it that. The PC will never actually use that much but its handy to have it set to default (auto) so that we can catch the errors you are getting.

Oct 10, 2019
I forgot to mention that I managed to get a few dumps when it was the other blue screens, it just didn't dump any crash dumps when it was the Memory_Management due to the computer freezing completely in the BSOD. If I remember correctly WhoCrashed pointed towards ntoskrnl.exe in all of the occasions. I will increase the page file to 16gb then, The problem is that if I leave it in auto it'll go back to 2,5gb (it also recommends 3gb that's why I changed it to 3).

My motherboard is:
ASUSTek COMPUTER INC.
PRIME H370-PLUS Rev 1.xx
Intel ID3EC2 Rev 07
Intel IDA304 Rev 10
Winbond
PCI-Express

Bios Info:
American Megatrends Inc.
Version 0602
Date 03/23/2018

Colif

Win 10 Master
can you go to c:/windows/minidump
copy the files from here to another folder
upload copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here.

Yes, its hard to create a dump if you frozen

how much ram do you have? Is windows seeing it all?

Oct 10, 2019
Sadly currently the minidump folder is empty (I restored to a previous restore point the first day I had the blue screen problems) and since then I only had a single Memory_Management blue screen, it's definitely not as aggressive as it was the first day around, despite that it was still not able to create a dump log due to it freezing on 0%. For now the computer has been fine but I wouldn't cross my fingers.

Currently I have 16gb RAM, I had 16gb before too. Windows is detecting 15,9 GB.

Colif

Win 10 Master
I had missed your update :)

Update 1:
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I thought I'd leave it here. Apparently whenever I get a Memory_Management BSOD I always get an error in event viewer that Avast tried to do something, the error is the following:
User hive is loaded by another process (Registry Lock) Process name: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\TuneupSvc.exe, PID: 3828, ProfSvc PID: 1812.

And this doesn't just happen with Avast, whenever Google Chrome crashes with the "Aw snap" I also get a similar error by reading the crash dump, the following being:
Exception error -
The Thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access. 0xC0000005

Like I said, I'm not sure if this is related but considering they both happen when these issues happen it's not a coincidence is it?
you could try the next thing for this error - 0xC0000005
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Not sure about Avast error. You could try removing Avast and just use Defender for now, and see if it fixes the BSOD.

can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is shows us what drivers are running on system
when you run it, go into the view menu and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, it will radically reduce list size
Can you take a screenshot showing from (and including) Driver name and ending on Created Date. Upload to an image sharing website and show link here.
I will see what drivers you have and compare against Asus website. I suspect it could be you need a new LAN driver.

Colif

Win 10 Master
That is so typical, I ask for date columns, you give me more, the system gives me 3 dates...

So the realtek NIC drivers are from 2015, i can tell from version number
you have 9.1.409.2015
latest on Asus site is 10.31.828.2018

Realtek Audio
you have 6.0.1.7190
newest are: 6.0.1.8339

Both are on here - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H370-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

you are also 8 BIOS versions behind so updating it and afterwards also updating chipset driver could help as well.

Oct 10, 2019
Alright I'll get on that but on the bright side I'm not getting any problems ever since I changed the Page File, it's hard to tell what's happening now. Also I forgot to mention that you asked at some point about the recommended Mobo slots and they are A2-B2, right now they're on A1-B1.

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Colif

Win 10 Master
If you not having any problems, don't do anything and see if it stops.

if you update BIOS you might want to swap ram back into the right slots, as most bios updates increase memory compatibility and they might work better in the correct ones.

Oct 10, 2019
That's the plan, I'll wait a few days and see what happens. It might have just been a small failure at some point and an isolated problem but never know. I'll get back to you if anything happens, if nothing happens I'll consider this fixed and do the best answer thing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS