[SOLVED] Blue Screens With Different Errors

May 18, 2020
Hello,

I built my computer around November 2019 and didn't have any issues for a while. But ever since January came around, my computer has been ravaged by sporadic blue screen crashes.

Here are the minidump files:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!As35DVYipoGMll2cgE-EAYqu7u9v?e=1MPDcu

Here's what I have in my computer:
  • CPU
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU
    • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
  • RAM
    • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 LED Desktop Memory - White
  • PSU
    • Corsair CX600W
  • Motherboard
    • Asus Prime X470-Pro
  • Drives
    • Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD (OS is currently on this).
    • Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD
    • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    • Seagate 1TB HDD
I jumped the gun and replaced the NVME SSD and RAM since that was the most recent hardware upgrade before it happened. Prior, I had an XPG Spectrix S40G RGB M.2 and Team T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600).

The frequency of the blue screens are really sporadic. Sometimes, my computer goes three days without crashing while other days it'll crash six times.

Here's a list of what I've been running into:
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • IRQL_NOT_GREATER_OR_EQUAL
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
  • KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
  • KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
  • KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
Been running in circles since December and really need some help.

Solution
I don't where else to look unless I should just replace the CPU to be troubleshoot.

That seems excessive. Although CPU could be cause of the errors, they aren't obviously CPU ones.

I jumped the gun and replaced the NVME SSD and RAM since that was the most recent hardware upgrade before it happened. Prior, I had an XPG Spectrix S40G RGB M.2 and Team T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600).
is the ram listed on motherboard website as that can be a cause of errors too, ryzen a little more picky about ram if its not been tested on motherboard.
Ram is more likely cause of the errors. Have you run memtest on sticks?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one...
One of the dump files you provided is pointing to LightingService.exe, which is the tool Asus provides to manage the RBG illumination on the motherboard. I would start with removing that entirely.

Second, I would make sure you're running version 1909 of Windows 10. The dump files seem to indicate that you're currently on 1903. The 1909 update should not take long (I would expect about 10-15 minutes on your system), and may help solve this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Update chipset driver might help as well - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/
RGB is part of Armoury crate now, it has instructions to remove Aura before installing it - its under the utilities listing.
the installed version of the driver shows its from Aura as the last version of Aura was released on the same date as driver
Apr 22 2019GLCKIO2.sysASUS RGB driver

1909 is different, it depends how many updates the person has of 1903 when they upgrade.
I ran it last year and the upgrade process took as long as a restart takes. It seems most of the contents of 1909 are included in previous patches. All it did on my PC was change the number of the OS build.
18362 - 1903
18363 - 1909.
patches are the same

May 18, 2020
Had the ASUS lighting and ARMORY removed for now. I've been running scans for Windows Update but hasn't had anything for updating to 1909. OS build info already shows in 1909 so I guess I just leave it.

Going to sit tight to see if it crashes again. Thanks for taking a look.

May 18, 2020
Looks like that was short-lived. My computer crashed again and a glimpse of the blue screen showed up. But it didn't go through the standard 0-100% screen. It showed up for a moment and then my computer restarted right away.

Unfortunately, it didn't generate a minidump file for me to post either. Any suggestions?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i will ask a friend to convert that last one, he did the previous 3 so far
@gardenman can you convert last dump?

DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (c4)
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xc4_62_LEAKED_POOL_IMAGE_vgk.sys
vgk.sys
valorant anti cheat? Riot games? that is what caused one BSOD 2 days ago

gardenman

Splendid
I think I got the right one. Results: https://vocaliccarnivore.htmlpasta.com/

File information:052120-20671-01.dmp (May 21 2020 - 20:47:21)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:win32kbase.sys (Process: wfica32.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/
You have the latest BIOS already installed, version 5406.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

May 18, 2020
Yeah, Citrix is a remote desktop tool I use for work. Vanguard anti-cheat is always online to prevent cheating on a game I have on my desktop.

That's good to know at least what's contributing to the issue. I've only had one crash today so there isn't anything more I can provide to look at. But is to soon to ask about hardware being okay?

May 18, 2020
At this point, I've pretty much replaced every component in my computer except for the GPU and CPU.

The crashes now show the blue screen, but restarts on it's own before the minidump file can be compiled.

Since my PC hasn't been able to generate another minidump, the most recent one is still 052420-20687-01.dmp.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!As35DVYipoGMllkZ4AJ1A2uVDqz6?e=Om3yp2

I don't where else to look unless I should just replace the CPU to be troubleshoot.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://dinkiesttoaster.htmlpasta.com/

File information:052420-20687-01.dmp (May 24 2020 - 19:30:43)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master

That seems excessive. Although CPU could be cause of the errors, they aren't obviously CPU ones.

is the ram listed on motherboard website as that can be a cause of errors too, ryzen a little more picky about ram if its not been tested on motherboard.
Ram is more likely cause of the errors. Have you run memtest on sticks?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Solution
May 18, 2020
So I went through the compatibility page at https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...mory_QVL_for_3rd_Gen_AMD_Ryzen_Processors.pdf

I hope this is the right one.

But you're right, I wasn't able to find the part number for my RAM on the list so I assume the board doesn't support it.

I did run memtest86 on my RAM sticks a few days ago and both sticks had 4 passes without any errors. I went as a far as having each stick ran individually in each DIMM slot and all tests had 4 passes with 0 errors.

Colif

Win 11 Master
a lot of the time, the codes won't be exact but its more to do with the settings ram runs at compared to what board runs at. if timings are close and voltages are as well, it might be fine.

I just figure ram is more likely than replacing CPU blindly. Especially since errors only started after replacing ram/nvme the 1st time

May 18, 2020
Sounds good. Thanks for the help so far.

If my computer is able to generate a minidump again, I'll see if I post it here with a link.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can get replacement RAM that's supported by the motherboard to see if that resolves the crashing.