Blue vs Black WD HDD

mrredrock25

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Is it worth the extra cost of Black HDD? i mean if there'll be a huge perf jump over the blue one because in my country the 1TB black costs twice as 1TB blue one. Both are 7200 RPM.

Solution
In my opinion, it's not worth it. The performance of Black is just 10%-15% better while the price is 1.5 higher. Such "enthusiast" solutions were justified when HDDs were used as the main drive for OS, but now when they're used mostly for secondary storage there is no point in them.

The only significant advantage is warranty, but HDDs are cheap and it will be better to buy a new drive instead of sending broken HDD for replacement with all your data. WD Blue has 3-year warranty anyway.

mrredrock25

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

No performance difference between these 2?

Hey there, @mrredrock25!

It really depends on your purpose for upgrading your storage with either the WD Blue or the WD Black.
It is a fact that the 1 TB 7,200 RPM model of both HDDs overlap in specs, but when put side-by-side, the WD Black should outperform the WD Blue, since the Black is tuned for performance.
The WD Blue is part of our mainstream PC storage solutions. If you want to upgrade your secondary storage for everyday computing, then this drive will surely give you the desired performance & reliability. It also comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
The WD Black , as I already mentioned, is our performance drive. It incorporates a dual-core processor which allows it to maximize the drive's performance when compared to standard single-core processing drives. It's a great solution if you are a high-end gamer or using pretty demanding applications like video/audio editing software. It has a 5-year limited warranty that can definitely give some peace of mind.

Let me know if you have more questions.
SuperSoph_WD

Unless you transfer files a lot for a job, then you won't notice difference between the Blue and Black models. I have 2 Blue and 1 Black drives (WD). They all are 4 years old. I had one Blue die on me after 4 months but WD got a replacement within 2 weeks. So, warranty is important but I think if it will die it'll happen sooner than after warranty.

Game256

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
In my opinion, it's not worth it. The performance of Black is just 10%-15% better while the price is 1.5 higher. Such "enthusiast" solutions were justified when HDDs were used as the main drive for OS, but now when they're used mostly for secondary storage there is no point in them.

The only significant advantage is warranty, but HDDs are cheap and it will be better to buy a new drive instead of sending broken HDD for replacement with all your data. WD Blue has 3-year warranty anyway.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS