[SOLVED] Blue Yeti mic recordings fading in and out from perfect to echoey ?

Baconforall

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
So I never had issues with my yeti mic before. Just to head off any check your settings comments, I have long since worked out the new user kinks and had established proper settings for getting good audio, and before today got exactly what I wanted from my mic. Today however, I was playing back a recording and midway through, the mic sounded as if somehow it faded from the proper cardioid settings to the more omnidirectional settings and then back again. Audio goes from perfect, to echoey and distant ( as if I clicked it out of cardioid or put a phone on speaker and then moved 4 feet away), and then faded back to good again.

I thought at first it may have been me moving about in my chair or background noise. I made sure to kill all background sound sources and stay totally still, and the audio still faded in and out. I checked all my audio drivers and they are all up to date and none of my other software seems to have affected it nor has it before. I noticed the light on the mic is easily shutting off and on with the mic moving slightly, so is the issue simply a failing usb b cord? I dont have a spare to check this, but seeing as no other software or hardware on my computer ever affected it before, I had exactly what I wanted before, and all my drivers and settings are current I cant imagine it wouldnt be. Do you guys think it's just the cable? I haven't knocked the mic over or anything like that.

Solution
Check plugs and ports for signs of damage or obstruction. Likewise for any adapters or converters you may be using.

Try another known working mic on your computer.

Try your Yeti mic on another known working computer or audio device.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the Yeti mic/cable.

Another thing you can do is listen on the mic and while doing so gently twist, bend, and pull on the cable from one end to the other - especially at the ends. If you can physically cause the fading etc. by manipulating the cable then the cable is the culprit.

Ralston18

Titan
Check plugs and ports for signs of damage or obstruction. Likewise for any adapters or converters you may be using.

Determine if the problem stays with your computer or follows the Yeti mic/cable.

Another thing you can do is listen on the mic and while doing so gently twist, bend, and pull on the cable from one end to the other - especially at the ends. If you can physically cause the fading etc. by manipulating the cable then the cable is the culprit.

Solution

Baconforall

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019

thanks for your suggestions! plugged into a different USB port and it worked fine. however, I do think the port to the mic itself is loose because it loses power at the slightest movement, but I can live with that. The audio is good again.