[SOLVED] Bluescreen after BIOS update + XMP activated (BSOD IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL )

May 16, 2022
I get blue screen if I update to a newer BIOS version. The only BIOS that is working with XMP enabled is F13.
If I update the BIOS to F14, F15a or F15c and activate the XMP profile, I get bluescreen almost every time when windows starts. If I deactivate XMP, Windows is working properly.

Error: BSOD IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
Product Name:B550 AORUS PRO AC (1.x)
BIOS Ver:F15C
Brand:ASUS
Model:R9 280X
Model:AMD 3950x
Operating System:Windows 11
Brand:Corsair
Size:32GB
Power Supply:750W
Memory Part No.:CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16
DMP file attached:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A2Rx0-BmfNbCi7mexbaqvJTV03RTrbBM/view?usp=sharing

Solution
I get blue screen if I update to a newer BIOS version. The only BIOS that is working with XMP enabled is F13.
If I update the BIOS to F14, F15a or F15c and activate the XMP profile, I get bluescreen almost every time when windows starts. If I deactivate XMP, Windows is working properly.

Power Supply:

Power Supply:750W
Memory Part No.:CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16
DMP file attached:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A2Rx0-BmfNbCi7mexbaqvJTV03RTrbBM/view?usp=sharing
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 32 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), do not enable XMP yet, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot, make sure after reboot power plan is on AMD Ryzen Balanced.

• Install the latest radeon driver, or anermine zone (nimez) driver since it performed better on GCN GPU, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Solution
May 16, 2022
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 32 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), do not enable XMP yet, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot, make sure after reboot power plan is on AMD Ryzen Balanced.

• Install the latest radeon driver, or anermine zone (nimez) driver since it performed better on GCN GPU, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Thank you for your help, but it didn't fix my problem, and I followed all the steps like you wrote. If I activate the XMP, I get bluescreen every time when booting.
However, it works with XMP disabled and with the setting the memory multiplier to 32, which gave me 3200mhz. Does it have any impact on timings or on something else if I use the memory multiplier instead?

PS: I think the AMD R9 280x doesn't support resizable BAR. And I've installed the 3rd-Party Driver Amernime Zone Radeon Insight 22.5.1.
Screenshot-2022-05-17-175526.png

Error reports: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1laG5rU52mIF-0OEWuOYyjejbZWDcN_li/view?usp=sharing

Reactions: Koekieezz
Thank you for your help, but it didn't fix my problem, and I followed all the steps like you wrote. If I activate the XMP, I get bluescreen every time when booting.
However, it works with XMP disabled and with the setting the memory multiplier to 32, which gave me 3200mhz. Does it have any impact on timings or on something else if I use the memory multiplier instead?

PS: I think the AMD R9 280x doesn't support resizable BAR. And I've installed the 3rd-Party Driver Amernime Zone Radeon Insight 22.5.1.
Screenshot-2022-05-17-175526.png

Error reports: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1laG5rU52mIF-0OEWuOYyjejbZWDcN_li/view?usp=sharing
if you do input manual timings and it worked flawlessly than XMP, even with similiar timings and freq, then it means either the mobo, the imc, or the ram stick itself. but i guess it's time to fall back to agesa 1.2.0.3 as it is mostly known as the best stable bios, while 1.2.0.7 are still on beta test.

could you give a thaiphoon burner read and zentimings read with your current stick at 3200 (no xmp, the one that youu did youruself)?

Last edited:
just fyi: usb reported
Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
most likely related to your usbcharger driver that was attempting to load.
I would guess you have a special usb charging port that requires a special motherboard driver from your motherboard vendors website.

system was up for a very short time 26 seconds.
looked like a service exited and on cleanup of its resources it had a bogus vad entry.

I would disable the charger port in bios or install the special usb charger driver to see if it is related to the bugcheck.
the notes in the docs for the usb guid:

{36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}: IHVs must not use this class for their custom devices. This is reserved for USB host controllers and USB hubs.

I would pull any special usb devices from the system, maybe disable some in bios, and run
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
to view what is connected to your usb subsystem and check for errors.
(you could have a logitech device that has a hub in it, it might just need a firmware update to not cause issues with the microsoft hub controller drivers)
could also be related to corsair device or your vm usb driver (VBoxUSBMon.sys).

would need to look at a kernel dump to really know if it is the cause.
kernel dump shows everything connected to usb subsystem.
-------------
edit:
i do see your usbcharger driver:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AppleCharger.sys Sun Oct 27 18:59:21 2013

these things mess up. I would just remove it.
use the usbtool to see if this is the one with the error.
---------
this driver tends to mess up stuff also:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\gdrv3.sys Fri Nov 5 01:35:11 2021

Last edited:
May 16, 2022
just fyi: usb reported
Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
most likely related to your usbcharger driver that was attempting to load.
I would guess you have a special usb charging port that requires a special motherboard driver from your motherboard vendors website.

system was up for a very short time 26 seconds.
looked like a service exited and on cleanup of its resources it had a bogus vad entry.

I would disable the charger port in bios or install the special usb charger driver to see if it is related to the bugcheck.
the notes in the docs for the usb guid:

{36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}: IHVs must not use this class for their custom devices. This is reserved for USB host controllers and USB hubs.

I would pull any special usb devices from the system, maybe disable some in bios, and run
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
to view what is connected to your usb subsystem and check for errors.
(you could have a logitech device that has a hub in it, it might just need a firmware update to not cause issues with the microsoft hub controller drivers)
could also be related to corsair device or your vm usb driver (VBoxUSBMon.sys).

would need to look at a kernel dump to really know if it is the cause.
kernel dump shows everything connected to usb subsystem.
-------------
edit:
i do see your usbcharger driver:
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\AppleCharger.sys Sun Oct 27 18:59:21 2013

these things mess up. I would just remove it.
use the usbtool to see if this is the one with the error.
---------
this driver tends to mess up stuff also:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\gdrv3.sys Fri Nov 5 01:35:11 2021
I think the AppleCharger.sys was installed previously by a Gigabyte app called ON/OFF when I had windows 10. I've uninstalled it and tomorrow I will flash again the last BIOS version.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3g5mfo/bsod_caused_by_applechargersys/

But what is the logic between this driver and XMP causing BDOS?
EDIT: I have uninstalled all the gigabyte crap apps, I flashed the BIOS again and the problem is still here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11d_mGNgpnbUOPq6nil7QRxoWZWJPLy7E/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: