Question Bluescreen error:116, win7 64 bit, AMD Radeon hd 6950 card

sillysoraya

Reputable
May 17, 2020
Hi everyone,
I have Windows 7 64-bit on a desktop PC, and with an AMD Radeon HD 6950 graphics card.

So for a year or so now I sporadically get a delightful rainbow loading screen when I start my PC. I've (stupidly) ignored it as if I restart it goes away. Then I started getting weird red+green blurs when playing videos or video games, again sporadically.

However, the last 2 days I've gotten a bluescreen with error 116: video card or video driver related issue, which makes sense. I wasn't doing anything graphics card heavy both times, only on the internet or itunes.

Yet when trying to update my drivers today, AMD tell me to download the catalyst center which I already have, and when I select check for driver updates on the catalyst center, it just links me back to the amd website for getting the catalyst center again!
But with the amount of issues that have been slowly arising graphics-wise, am I right in presuming I should just get a new graphics card and be done with it? I'm guessing it's pretty old and dying.

So my quandary is 1. What new graphics card?
And 2. Should I upgrade to Windows 10 first, as drivers etc. I presume would be best with Windows 10 rather than staying with old Windows 7?

If it wasn't for the fact that I know it's unsupported and that I was getting these most recent problems, I would be fine staying with Window 7. Also I still play The Sims 2 regularly, so am worried about all the problems trying to get that to work on Windows 10. But obviously something needs to be done urgently before the whole thing dies on me. Thank you for any advice at all, it would be really appreciated.

sillysoraya

Reputable
May 17, 2020
Windows 7 64bit
Graphics card- AMD Radeon HD 6950 2gb
Processor- Intel core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40ghz
RAM- 8gb
Motherboard- ASUS P8Z77-V LX
PSU- Xigmatek NRP-VC503, model no. SL_8500BTX, voltage 115v/230v, frequency 60h
1tb SSD hard-drive split

I bought the computer in 2012 but have upgraded a few parts since then (the ram, graphics card and hard-drives)