Question Bluescreen-o-rama, 2 month old computer, cant boot from disc

Feb 14, 2019
Hi everyone, hoping I can get some advice, since I am not sure what my next step is. Plus, it is really weird. I am an IT professional, but I work mostly on the software/programming side.

I built a new computer a few months ago with the help of a coworker.

Processor - Intel Core I7 - 9700 3.6 GHz 8 Core Processor
Mobo - Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev 1.0) ATX LGA1151
Memory - G.Skill - Ripjaw V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133
SSD - Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7P512BW)
Storage - Western Digital - WD Green 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video card - Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE
Case - Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply - EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
DVD Drive - Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Cooler - Corsair - H100i 77 CFM Liquid

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GLHZmq

It has been working fine for a couple months. Then if I would start it up, but not log in, it would blue screen once in awhile. If I logged into windows, the blue screen would not happen. Fast forward a little bit, I get my first blue screen while logged in, playing some PC game, I forget what it was. I get a couple more blue screens that night.
The next day, my pc starts blue screening when loading windows, before it even gets to the log in screen. There is a few times I actually get into windows, so I back up some of my programming projects while I'm in there. Nothing else really on that PC since it is new, and I use it for gaming.
My coworkers suggest I update my BIOS. It was currently at F7 from 07/25(ish)/2018. I update it to F12c, the latest from gigabyte for my mobo. Still blue screens on start up.
I try to boot from my windows CD. I even get a blue screen when booting from the CD.
I take my 2 memory sticks out, and plug 1 into the first of 4 slots. Start the computer, blue screen.
I take the other stick and plug it into the 1st slot. Blue Screen on startup.
I take the 2700 RTX video card out, and a small piece of plastic falls out. It looks like it is a cap to something. There was no noise in the card before it fell out. The computer boots up fine, I'm able to use the PC for a good 10 minutes.
I shut it down, and put the video card back in, the computer works for an hour or so. I play some DOTA Auto Chess (fun as heck game)... blue screen.
I take the card back out, blue screen.
This whole process, I try to boot from the windows dvd about as much as I try from the hard drive. Blue screens doing that too.
I take out the SSD, since I have a spinny drive, I think it would be fine. Blue screen.
Now it is just in a blue screen loop. Startup, windows spinning icon, blue screen over and over. I am still able to enter the BIOS.

Here are some of the blue screen codes:
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - nvlddmkm.sys
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - WimFsf.sys
KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - FLTMGR.SYS
SYSTEM PTE MISUSE
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - Wdf01000.sys
SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - ACPI.sys
KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - partmgr.sys

Some of these codes I've seen multiple times.

I guess I am just looking for what to do next. Even with the video card and ssd out, still blue screens on windows startup. I can't do any kind of install or reset from the windows dvd because it just blue screens when it is starting (even from the DVD). I guess the only thing it could be is hardware? How the heck did it work for an hour in the middle of this whole debacle, and now I'm back to blue screening?!?!?

Last edited:
Seems like you did the basics... usually you blame bios on a z370 using 9th, the z370 isn't nativelly compatible with 9th gen, it requires flashing.

then you blame ram sticks for BSOD on startup, but you did the individual testing... testing gpu seems prudent, but afaik they're mostly stressed when 3d rendering not so much with 2d in general desktop tasking.

i could go on but lets talk about what matters after all, I'll be honest into say that right now I think its a faulty motherboard, it happens... but you can still reset your bios for kicks, go back to integrated graphics by removing the GPU and run a CPU stress test like aida64, if no blue screen happens it could be gpu, i doubt a little though... also, have you tried to format your drive and start over with your OS? I remember i had a constant BSOD problem with a bad windows install forcing AHCI host controller over IDE.... could be it...

i still think its the mobo...

EDIT: oh and this is inusual but you're using a unprovend GPU tech, there was a lot of issues with RTX cards misbehaving a while back there, a lot of RMA's and complaints, who knows, maybe you got the lucky batch... i'm not even sure if the issue affecting the RTX cards was even fixed completely.

Feb 14, 2019
Seems like you did the basics... usually you blame bios on a z370 using 9th, the z370 isn't nativelly compatible with 9th gen, it requires flashing.

then you blame ram sticks for BSOD on startup, but you did the individual testing... testing gpu seems prudent, but afaik they're mostly stressed when 3d rendering not so much with 2d in general desktop tasking.

i could go on but lets talk about what matters after all, I'll be honest into say that right now I think its a faulty motherboard, it happens... but you can still reset your bios for kicks, go back to integrated graphics by removing the GPU and run a CPU stress test like aida64, if no blue screen happens it could be gpu, i doubt a little though... also, have you tried to format your drive and start over with your OS? I remember i had a constant BSOD problem with a bad windows install forcing AHCI host controller over IDE.... could be it...

i still think its the mobo...

EDIT: oh and this is inusual but you're using a unprovend GPU tech, there was a lot of issues with RTX cards misbehaving a while back there, a lot of RMA's and complaints, who knows, maybe you got the lucky batch... i'm not even sure if the issue affecting the RTX cards was even fixed completely.

Hi there Rodrigodrt, thanks for the response:

I cant get in and run a stress test because the computer wont stay alive that long, without blue screening. Cant format or reinstall windows. I have a few things to try, such as re-seating the processor, and trying different RAM. I tried both sticks 1 at a time and got BSOD on both, but I'd like to try a whole new set. Plus someone on reddit suggested I make sure my RAM is on the mobo QVL (qualified vendor list) and it was not... But why would the darn thing run for 2 months then, so odd.

Feb 14, 2019
I have some new RAM coming today that was on my mobos QVL. Going to try that out! And re-seat the processor. Didnt get a chance to fiddle with it yesterday due to valentines day.

I have some new RAM coming today that was on my mobos QVL. Going to try that out! And re-seat the processor. Didnt get a chance to fiddle with it yesterday due to valentines day.

Well, within the specs even though they're not directly certified by the mobo vendor, it should work anyways tbh... all the mainstream manufacturers modules are quite compatible with everything nowadays aside from extreme cases or incompatible max speeds, overly low timings etc... while i doubt very much that the ram is the issue here, its possible! so lets hope it works.

Feb 14, 2019
Yeah, I think it was kind of a longshot. I put the new RAM in and got the same blue screen with the same error, at the same point in the boot-up process. When we first put it together we forgot to plug in the power for the cooler, so it was hitting 100 Celsius and throttling. We realized it and plugged it in, 40 Celsius now, but maybe the hot and cold made it expand and contract and the processor needs re-seated. Going to try that after work today!