Question Bluescreen of death BCCode: 1000007e?

Aug 8, 2019
Hi! Over the last month i have been experiencing frequent crashes when playing games like csgo and hitman 2. I originally thought this was an issue with my cpu overheating but after installing a new cpu cooler its still not fixed.

Heres some info on the crash itself

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1053

BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF88002E8A238
BCP4: FFFFF88002E89AA0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Here is the dump file: http://www.filedropper.com/080819-33743-01

If theres anything you can see that i cant (not exacly a computer expert) please let me know.

my specs are 2 970s, intel core i7-490k cpu and 8 gigs of ram.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/J7fj.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, 0, fffff88002e8a238, fffff88002e89aa0}
GetUlongPtrFromAddress: unable to read from fffff800036ad300
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+1c819f )

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)

This is a very common bugcheck. Usually the exception address pinpoints the driver/function that caused the problem. Always note this address as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address. Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003. This means a hard coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted /NODEBUG. This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ... If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the system is booted /DEBUG. This will let us see why this breakpoint is happening.

Typically caused by drivers.

Some things to consider:
  • As you can see from the report nvlddmkm is clearly in the stack leading up to the crash. This is your NVIDIA Video driver. It may be apt to see if there is a newer version (I can't recall if the 17/07 is the latest).
  • I could not deduce your system information, could you confirm you full system spec including PSU make and model?
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Are you running any overclock anywhere?

Aug 8, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/J7fj.html

Summary of findings:

Some things to consider:
  • As you can see from the report nvlddmkm is clearly in the stack leading up to the crash. This is your NVIDIA Video driver. It may be apt to see if there is a newer version (I can't recall if the 17/07 is the latest).
  • I could not deduce your system information, could you confirm you full system spec including PSU make and model?
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Are you running any overclock anywhere?
Here is a list of my exact specs apart from psu
View: https://imgur.com/a/GuU3VzQ

my psu is a tx 650w

I dont think i have the latest bios installed i usually dont really touch the bios settings, and no i havent overclocked anything

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well first port of call is to look at your NVIDIA Video driver as this was in the stack leading to the crash.
After that we could look at:
  • AVG & Malwarebytes (hopefully not running both at same time).
  • WinRing0x64.sys - this is a known BSOD cause.
  • Realtek RTL Ethernet Drivers
  • and Scarlet Crush Dual Shock Driver is a very common known BSOD.

So first 2 to look at would be NVIDIA and your playstation controller drivers. You may need to use autoruns to disable scarlet crush.

Aug 8, 2019
Well first port of call is to look at your NVIDIA Video driver as this was in the stack leading to the crash.
After that we could look at:
  • AVG & Malwarebytes (hopefully not running both at same time).
  • WinRing0x64.sys - this is a known BSOD cause.
  • Realtek RTL Ethernet Drivers
  • and Scarlet Crush Dual Shock Driver is a very common known BSOD.
So first 2 to look at would be NVIDIA and your playstation controller drivers. You may need to use autoruns to disable scarlet crush.
I have the latest nvidia drivers and downloaded autorun as you said. I unticked the WinRing0x64.sys box.
As for the dualshock driver i cant find it in the program, is there anyway to find the name of the driver itself? I want to make sure I have tried all these solutions so i can test it later to see if it still crashes.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have the latest nvidia drivers and downloaded autorun as you said. I unticked the WinRing0x64.sys box.
As for the dualshock driver i cant find it in the program, is there anyway to find the name of the driver itself? I want to make sure I have tried all these solutions so i can test it later to see if it still crashes.
It is in the report I posted earlier.
ScpVBus.sys

Aug 8, 2019
No problem - I won't jinx it yet, it's just a case of gradually eliminating the potential causes, I've just pointed out the biggest potentials from the debugging. Let us know how it goes.
Ok so I disabled both the drivers you talked about but crashed again. its possible that the winring driver reinstalled by itself after I opened the program that triggers it so I will try again and see what happens.

Aug 8, 2019
Check that you have a good airflow from front of the case to back and two gtx 970 cards are running cool. A 650W PSU is too weak for two 150W GPU cards.
Ok Thanks. I might just invest in a new PSU then but not until i've tried everything else. Thing about it tho is that i have been running this psu and both 970s for awhile with no problems but recently however (along with the crashing) my gpu temps have gone up

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok Thanks. I might just invest in a new PSU then but not until i've tried everything else. Thing about it tho is that i have been running this psu and both 970s for awhile with no problems but recently however (along with the crashing) my gpu temps have gone up
Usually at least a 700W is required - it's just that the TX 650 is good quality so it was probably satisfactory, but just close to a boundary, but it does have a shelf life.

If you've had it approaching 5/7 years, you may want to upgrade.

Aug 8, 2019
Usually at least a 700W is required - it's just that the TX 650 is good quality so it was probably satisfactory, but just close to a boundary, but it does have a shelf life.

Ok so i took one of my gpus out to try and test my results with only 1. My pc still crashed so either my psu is damaged enough to were it cant power 1 gpu properly or the problem lies with something else. Im going to test my RAM with windows memory test and see if it detects any errors.

Aug 8, 2019

Ok so i just ran the RAMtest two times and it showed no problems with my ram. Is it possible or likely even that my psu is damaged? I only crash when gaming.

Aug 8, 2019
Check that you have a good airflow from front of the case to back and two gtx 970 cards are running cool. A 650W PSU is too weak for two 150W GPU cards.
Like i said in a reply down below i recently took out one of my gpus to try this and still crashed. Is it possible for the psu to be diminished enough to the point that it cant power 1 gpu anymore? If thats the case then i might just have to get e new one. I ran windows memory diagnotstics tool aswell and theres nothing wrong with my ram.

TRENDING THREADS