[SOLVED] Bluescreens / Blackscreens with new system after performing "heavy" tasks ?

Feb 1, 2021
Hello guys,
I don't know what to do anymore. I asked around, googled a lot and tried even more things that could possibly fix my current problem. I recently got a new PC and since day 1 it has some very strange behavior. Luckily I am able to narrow it down more and more but I'm not a pro in terms of PC parts so I can't really find a solution that really fits. I try to give you as much information as I can and if you need any more info, feel free to ask, I'll try to provide anything that could help.

Description of the problem:
Every now and then when I was playing games the screen would get black (with some fuzziness, screenshot down below) and shortly after the PC would crash. I tried a few things here and there, including BIOS update and changing some BIOS settings (see screenshots attached). Meanwhile these weird blackscreens have turned into "normal" bluescreens with some exceptions. First I noticed the crashes every time I was playing a specific game but since I installed more and more games I noticed it crashes while playing other games too. Currently I have the feeling that it tends to crash whenever I tab out/leave/exit out of a performance heavy task. Closing Steep (game) on ultra settings or tabbing out of Valorant while streaming with OBS (streaming software), these are just examples, other Games/Software sometimes have the same behavior.

Things I've changed/done so far:
  • I run memtest86, it took about 4.5 hours and returned everything is okay.
  • I downloaded OCCT and checked temperatures + did various tests, everything seems normal (at least to me)
  • I updated my BIOS to the most current stable version at the time (I think there has been a new release a couple days ago, maybe I'll try this next)
  • Checked every driver in device manager for updates, everything seems up to date
System Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio 8G
  • MB: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
  • RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL16
  • PSU: Corsair RM750X
Event Viewer:
Every time a crash/reboot occurs I check the event viewer afterwards. This is what it tells me (rough translations because my system is not english):
  • Error / EventLog / ID 6008
    • The system was unexpectedly shut down
  • Error / volmgr / ID 161
    • Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation
  • Critical / Kernel-Power / ID 41
    • The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
  • Error / WHEA-Logger / ID 18
    • A fatal hardware error has occurred.
      Reported by component: Processor Core
      Error Source: Machine Check Exception
      Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
      Processor-APIC-ID: 0
  • Error / WHEA-Logger / ID 18
    • A fatal hardware error has occurred.
      Reported by component: Processor Core
      Error Source: Machine Check Exception
      Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
      Processor-APIC-ID: 15
Screenshots (Imgur):
  1. Fuzzy blackscreen (stays like that for 3-4 seconds then PC reboots)
  2. BIOS current voltages
  3. BIOS settings 1
  4. BIOS settings 2

tvwuVEP.jpeg
z6NbpeN.jpeg
rXKAgfI.jpeg
MOwF7lu.jpeg

I really hope someone in this forum can help me find the solution. It is really frustrating to always expect random reboots in the middle of work, gaming and streaming. The only idea that I have left for now: Buying a different brand of RAM because I've read a couple of times that the RAM might not be compatible with the CPU.

Best wishes :)

Solution
I just noticed, I searched for "C16D-32GTZR" to check if the RAM is supported on the B550 compatibility tab. The only search result shown (what I copied above) is NOT 3200, it is 3600, which is either way not the RAM I have installed. So does that mean the RAM does work with the Mainboard but can cause just the problems I'm currently facing?
so both list the 3600 ram but not the 3200. I think if its not on either the G Skill or the MSI at the speed you have, that might be enough to blame the ram. What are the codes on your ram sticks? are they https://www.gskill.com/search?keywords=f4-3200c16d-32gtzr as that would be my guess.

New compatible ram might be all you need. I would try to match the MSI website as then if you...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. They are errors called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it. Can be any hardware which doesn't make it easy.

remove any overclocks.
remove any overclocking software (like MSI Afterburner, AMD Overdrive (not that I see that a lot)

The only idea that I have left for now: Buying a different brand of RAM because I've read a couple of times that the RAM might not be compatible with the CPU.
its more a case of has the ram been tested with the motherboard. Do you see your ram on this page - Gskill link - or on the compatibility tab of the MSI MAG B550 site

Reactions: MyXoToD
Feb 1, 2021
Hey @Colif , thanks for your help.

Meanwhile I updated the BIOS to the latest version, there was actually a new one out.

I set the dump files to small memory dump, let's see what happens after the next crash, I will post them here.

I don't use any overclocking software and as far as I'm aware I disabled every OC in the BIOS.

My RAM is listed as compatible on the G.Skill website you sent. Unfortunately my RAM is listed twice "F4-3600C16D-32GTZR" and "F4-3600C16D-32GTZRX", the one with the X only has a side-note saying "for AMD" which makes me wonder what kind of version of the Trident Z RGB I have actually built in... Is there a way to find out what specific name the built in RAM has?
On the other side: The MSI website says the B550 is compatible with the F4-3600C16D-32GTZR (without the X). Don't know if they see them both as one for compatibility or if they only support the one without X. This confuses me even more.
I also noticed, that the RAM is shown in the compatibility lists with 1.35v and in the BIOS it had below 1.2v, that I manually increased to 1.25v, should I increase it even more to 1.35v?

--- EDIT ---
I just noticed, I searched for "C16D-32GTZR" to check if the RAM is supported on the B550 compatibility tab. The only search result shown (what I copied above) is NOT 3200, it is 3600, which is either way not the RAM I have installed. So does that mean the RAM does work with the Mainboard but can cause just the problems I'm currently facing? If so I would be totally relieved because I would just need to buy a new RAM kit that is compatible.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I just noticed, I searched for "C16D-32GTZR" to check if the RAM is supported on the B550 compatibility tab. The only search result shown (what I copied above) is NOT 3200, it is 3600, which is either way not the RAM I have installed. So does that mean the RAM does work with the Mainboard but can cause just the problems I'm currently facing?
so both list the 3600 ram but not the 3200. I think if its not on either the G Skill or the MSI at the speed you have, that might be enough to blame the ram. What are the codes on your ram sticks? are they https://www.gskill.com/search?keywords=f4-3200c16d-32gtzr as that would be my guess.

New compatible ram might be all you need. I would try to match the MSI website as then if you have more problems you know it shouldn't be ram.

Solution
Feb 1, 2021
so both list the 3600 ram but not the 3200
G.Skill Website: If the Mainboard is selected it displays my current installed RAM as compatible.
MSI Website: If the mainboard is selected and I search for the RAM identifier it can't find anything except the "almost same" name but with 3600 instead of 3200 (which is obviously wrong), I wasn't sure about which tab (RX-3X00, RX-4X00G/GE, RX-5xxx) to search but it seems like none of the tabs include my currently installed RAM.

The identifier code is F4-3200C16D-32GTZR

Okay thanks so far for your help! I will wait until the next crash/bluescreen and report the small memory dump right here (I'll mention you). I'll also look for a compatible memory kit for the MAG B550 Tomahawk in the meantime and order it. The G.Skill kit is still brand new, I'll probably find someone who can make use of it :D

Edit: I'm stupid, I just noticed I have also written the wrong code earlier in this post :D I just updated it. It is 3200 not 3600 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hamez23
Feb 1, 2021
Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

@Colif today my system crashed for the first time since I posted here. I was playing a performance heavy game and streamed. Everything worked fine until I left the game again. I closed the game and as soon as I was back on my desktop my screens went black and the system rebooted. Here's the link to the minidump: Dropbox-Link
I really hope you can find something that answers why the system is not stable. Thanks again for your help.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/0n7yd1vs/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:020321-11406-01.dmp (Feb 3 2021 - 14:06:21)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:AuthenticAMD (Process: Streamlabs OBS)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK
You have the latest BIOS already installed, version A.5.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, the bug text doesn't tell me a lot. Many whea errors are like that though. I can't tell what you were doing at time.

does your logitech keybaord have a display on it? this driver is crusty
Jul 01 2009LGPBTDD.sysLogitech Display Driver - GamePanel Software (Logitech Inc.)
logitech drivers have been known to casue BSOD but not so much WHEA

this can overclock, maybe remove it.
Jan 19 2020MsIo64.sysMSI Gaming App driver
as it has a few modes and one changes cpu speed I believe

I don't see anything else.

we have bad weather around and since my pc is new, I prefer to not have it plugged in. So might be slow to reply.

Feb 1, 2021
I can't tell what you were doing at time.

I was streaming a game called Steep using a software called Streamlabs OBS. The game settings were turned down to ensure maximum streaming performance. There was not that much running in the background. Maybe Chrome and Teamspeak. As mentioned above: Everything runs smoothly, that crash happend right when I ended the game and saw the desktop.

does your logitech keybaord have a display on it?

Yes it does! I use the Logitech G19 keyboard and it has a display on it. Is there a way to specifically uninstall this? I will google this later.

this can overclock, maybe remove it.
Jan 19 2020MsIo64.sysMSI Gaming App driver

I found this file in C:\Windows\System32, is it safe to just delete the file or do I need to uninstall it first somehow. I noticed that this might have been installed with MSI Dragon Center, which is already uninstalled. Maybe a leftover file?

we have bad weather around and since my pc is new, I prefer to not have it plugged in. So might be slow to reply.

No problem! I'm very happy to get any kind of help, take the time you need :) I will try and google a little bit about the two mentioned files and what to do about them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I found this file in C:\Windows\System32, is it safe to just delete the file or do I need to uninstall it first somehow. I noticed that this might have been installed with MSI Dragon Center, which is already uninstalled. Maybe a leftover file?
try using this to delete it - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

what AMD power plan are you running?
right click start
choose power options
Under related Settings, click Additional power Settings
are you using AMD Ryzen Balanced or AMD Ryzen High Performance?
OmYXzPc.jpg

it might help to switch, depending which you are on.

Feb 1, 2021
try using this to delete it

Didn't find the MsIo64.sys in this program but I was able to remove the other driver for the keyboard LCD display with it.

When going to power options I don't see AMD options. I have:
  • Balanced (recommended)
  • Ultimate Performance (currently selected)
  • Power saver
  • High performance
This was something I changed right when I got the PC, I remember that crashes also happened when using high performance and balanced.

Feb 1, 2021
@Colif I thought I had already installed the newest chipset drivers. I remember downloading. Anyway I installed it again, rebooted and checked energy options, nothing changed, still no AMD options. I uninstalled the AMD chipset driver, reinstalled it, rebooted, still no AMD power options. I changed the power option to the default balanced one for now.

Unfortunately I had another crash yesterday. Same situation as before, again right after I closed a game and went back to the desktop. Bluescreen and reboot, this time however the reboot pre-bios shows a message that my CPU was overheating. This never happened before at any crash and would be strange to be the reason because why would an overheating CPU wait until I close the game before shutting itself off.. I'd love to attach a minidump from yesterdays bluescreen but there's no new file unfortunately :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
heat is a valid reason for WHEA errors.

What cooling do you have in PC? What CPU fan? what case? how many case fans?
what temperatures do you get in idle or under load?
CPU max temp is 90c, after that it will shut itself down

download https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
when you start it, click sensors only and click run
in next window, click the settings button (its the gear in bottom right)
under polling, set it to 500 and click Set. then ok. (this makes its recordings more accurate as there is less delay)

i did something like this for my pc

Feb 1, 2021
What cooling do you have in PC? What CPU fan? what case? how many case fans?
what temperatures do you get in idle or under load?
CPU max temp is 90c, after that it will shut itself down

I use Enermax ETS-T50 AXE ARGB as CPU cooler. The case is Sharkoon TG6 RGB , it has 3 fans in the front, 1 in the back. Today I installed HWMonitor to check the temperates over the day. Currently the CPU temperature is around 47°C - 65°C. The max temperature today under heavy load was 84°C. I understand that overheating could cause a lot of trouble and I won't say it isn't the cause but in my mind it's weird because it mostly crashes only when I close out of heavy tasks, wouldn't exiting performance hungry tasks reduce the current temperature?

Colif

Win 11 Master
which power plan were you on before switching to balanced? if high performance, it might help to swap back. main differences between both is CPU always runs at max speed with it on and you might get more reliable power.

it does seem odd that it happens after you stop playing , pc should cool down after that, not stay warm.

coolers tdp is way over cpu so it shouldn't be cause
i guessed what case would look like before i opened link. I wonder how much air the 3 fans get through the gap in the front. Are they filtered?
looks like a warm case - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sharkoon-tg6-rgb-atx-case/6.html

I doubt I can compare temps as I don't have same CPU. I normally look at the CPU Die (average) score as package bounces up and down all day and isn't a true indication of how CPU is. I sit on 38 to 41 all day since it essentially ignores the peaks. Package jumps between 44 and 51 all day. Think I see about 80 under load.

Feb 1, 2021
which power plan were you on before switching to balanced? if high performance, it might help to swap back. main differences between both is CPU always runs at max speed with it on and you might get more reliable power.

I was using the high performance plan before (some google searches mentioned that the AMD power plans are no longer a thing). Currently no more crashes but I haven't had any similar situations before. Will try over the next view days to run the Streaming software and a heavy game again because that's when it most recently crashed.

The temperatures are going down asap when a game is closed or a heavy task is stopped, so the heat is basically taken care of. I terms of case efficiency I'm not really able to tell if it is good or bad. To me it looks okay, the system is running all day long and if I feel the airflow, it is usually not hot or that much heated up.

The die(average) temp of my CPU is around 67°C when under load.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that isn't a bad temp average under load

I believe you right about the power plans, although I updated my chipset drivers expecting to lose my plans and they still exist? Others also can't get them. My pc just likes being different. Probably a way to make them go away but no rush.

TRENDING THREADS