"Friday, August 26 2005

Bringing owners of the original Half-Life a blast-from-the-past™, earlier
this week we released "Half-Life: Blue Shift" on Steam. This game was made
by Gearbox Software and originally released in 2001 as an add-on to Half-
Life. In it, you play as Barney Calhoun, the security guard sidekick who
helped Gordon out of so many sticky situations back in the Black Mesa
Research Facility.

Fans will remember that Blue Shift included a "High Definition Pack," a set
of visually enhanced player and weapon models. We've had to iron out some
technical wrinkles with how we deliver the HD Pack, but it will be made
available through Steam within the next week or so.

-----
We'd also like to take this opportunity to share an angry Axis soldier
running across the Day of Defeat: Source map "Flash." He and his shovel are
coming soon to a Steam Games List near you. (It's difficult for us to pin
the exact date down right now, but rest assured it's not far off.)"

there you go people you will be getting the hi definition pack afterall yay

Quoth The Raven: Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMERSrtennant.fsnet.co.uk>
in Xns96C050306BB3tenny2kNOSPAMERSrten@84.92.1.10
> there you go people you will be getting the hi definition pack
> afterall yay

i just installed a hidef pack from another blueshift thread, will this
one be better or worse?

--
Laughter is the closest distance between two people. - (Victor Borge)

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Quoth The Raven: Highlandish <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> in
43110958$0$18636$14726298@news.sunsite.dk
> Quoth The Raven: Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMERSrtennant.fsnet.co.uk>
> in Xns96C050306BB3tenny2kNOSPAMERSrten@84.92.1.10
>> there you go people you will be getting the hi definition pack
>> afterall yay
>
> i just installed a hidef pack from another blueshift thread, will this
> one be better or worse?

err, i just realised that the hires defpack i downloaded was for source,
blueshift is for hl1... my bad

--
I came, I saw, I tried, I failed, I cheated, I tried again, I won.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:49:23 +1000, "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au>
wrote:

>|Quoth The Raven: Highlandish <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> in
>|43110958$0$18636$14726298@news.sunsite.dk
>|> Quoth The Raven: Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMERSrtennant.fsnet.co.uk>
>|> in Xns96C050306BB3tenny2kNOSPAMERSrten@84.92.1.10
>|>
>|> i just installed a hidef pack from another blueshift thread, will this
>|> one be better or worse?
>|
>|err, i just realised that the hires defpack i downloaded was for source,
>|blueshift is for hl1... my bad

Check the old thread.. there has been an updated to the high res pack for HL2.

Pluvious

Quoth The Raven: Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> in
6bt3h1128m4hcu22ssk9cesb2u65et3v5v@4ax.com
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:49:23 +1000, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>> Quoth The Raven: Highlandish <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> in
>>> 43110958$0$18636$14726298@news.sunsite.dk

>>> err, i just realised that the hires defpack i downloaded was for
>>> source, blueshift is for hl1... my bad
>
> Check the old thread.. there has been an updated to the high res pack
> for HL2.
>
> Pluvious

just caught it, thanks

--
'Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia' is the fear of long words.

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

Yawn. Did you say something? At least it's not about Counterstrike...

--
there is no .sig
"Stone Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMERSrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Friday, August 26 2005
>
> Bringing owners of the original Half-Life a blast-from-the-pastT, earlier
> this week we released "Half-Life: Blue Shift" on Steam. This game was made
> by Gearbox Software and originally released in 2001 as an add-on to Half-
> Life. In it, you play as Barney Calhoun, the security guard sidekick who
> helped Gordon out of so many sticky situations back in the Black Mesa
> Research Facility.
>
> Fans will remember that Blue Shift included a "High Definition Pack," a
> set
> of visually enhanced player and weapon models. We've had to iron out some
> technical wrinkles with how we deliver the HD Pack, but it will be made
> available through Steam within the next week or so.

> -----
> We'd also like to take this opportunity to share an angry Axis soldier
> running across the Day of Defeat: Source map "Flash." He and his shovel
> are
> coming soon to a Steam Games List near you. (It's difficult for us to pin
> the exact date down right now, but rest assured it's not far off.)"
>
> there you go people you will be getting the hi definition pack afterall
> yay

I was away for a few weeks and saw this
news when I logged into Steam. I've installed Blue
Shift - does this (as of Sept 8) also include
the hi-res graphics? And are these hi-res
graphics also used in Half-Life 1 and Opposing
Force?

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"Life is like a musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Very popular and
not as bad as some would have you believe. That is unspeakably
awful but mercifully brief."

Seems to have. I've just re-started HL and it looks better. Model textures
aren't so fuzzy. Just started playing Blue Shift for the very first time.
Interesting parallel to the regular game where you're Gordon. You see
Gordon a few times so far.
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:
> Seems to have. I've just re-started HL and it looks better. Model textures
> aren't so fuzzy. Just started playing Blue Shift for the very first time.
> Interesting parallel to the regular game where you're Gordon. You see
> Gordon a few times so far.
> McG.

That reminds me, I have a technical question re the High-Def pak. When I
start up the Steam News, it shows a link that'll download the pak to my
machine. Thing is, the link doesn't do anything-- Opera doesn't
recognize it as a proper protocol, and using IE and Netscape hasn't
brought me any results. (In those browsers, I don't get the error
message, but I also don't get no High-Def yumminess.) Any suggestions?

(In case yer wondering, yes, I did restart the games, I did restart my
machine, I've basically done what seems reasonable.)

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:56:21 -0400, Brian Siano
<siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
>That reminds me, I have a technical question re the High-Def pak. When I
>start up the Steam News, it shows a link that'll download the pak to my
>machine. Thing is, the link doesn't do anything-- Opera doesn't
>recognize it as a proper protocol, and using IE and Netscape hasn't
>brought me any results. (In those browsers, I don't get the error
>message, but I also don't get no High-Def yumminess.) Any suggestions?

You have to have Steam running when you click the link, and then the
update status of HL1, HL:OF, and HL:BS will change. Restart Steam and
try to launch HL1 to force it to update (it wouldn't automatically
update when I left it for an hour) and you should then see 'HD Pack
enabled' next to status.
--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

"Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>> Seems to have. I've just re-started HL and it looks better. Model
>> textures aren't so fuzzy. Just started playing Blue Shift for the very
>> first time. Interesting parallel to the regular game where you're Gordon.
>> You see Gordon a few times so far.
>> McG.
>
> That reminds me, I have a technical question re the High-Def pak. When I
> start up the Steam News, it shows a link that'll download the pak to my
> machine. Thing is, the link doesn't do anything-- Opera doesn't recognize
> it as a proper protocol, and using IE and Netscape hasn't brought me any
> results. (In those browsers, I don't get the error message, but I also
> don't get no High-Def yumminess.) Any suggestions?
>
> (In case yer wondering, yes, I did restart the games, I did restart my
> machine, I've basically done what seems reasonable.)

Me too. All I can say is that it looks better than vanilla Half-Life. :)
That link in the news didn't work for me either. When I started Blue Shift,
it started downloading stuff for a couple minutes, then I played it. I've
never seen Blue Shift before now so can't tell ya what it's supposed to look
like.
McG.

shawk

> "Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>> Seems to have. I've just re-started HL and it looks better. Model
>>> textures aren't so fuzzy. Just started playing Blue Shift for the very
>>> first time. Interesting parallel to the regular game where you're
>>> Gordon. You see Gordon a few times so far.
>>> McG.
>>
>> That reminds me, I have a technical question re the High-Def pak. When I
>> start up the Steam News, it shows a link that'll download the pak to my
>> machine. Thing is, the link doesn't do anything-- Opera doesn't recognize
>> it as a proper protocol, and using IE and Netscape hasn't brought me any
>> results. (In those browsers, I don't get the error message, but I also
>> don't get no High-Def yumminess.) Any suggestions?
>>
>> (In case yer wondering, yes, I did restart the games, I did restart my
>> machine, I've basically done what seems reasonable.)
>>
> Me too. All I can say is that it looks better than vanilla Half-Life. :)
> That link in the news didn't work for me either. When I started Blue
> Shift, it started downloading stuff for a couple minutes, then I played
> it. I've never seen Blue Shift before now so can't tell ya what it's
> supposed to look like.
> McG.

The link 'did' work for you, the workings just aint visible - I'm guessing
the link is just some form of notification that you want the pack so that
next time you go to play it d-loads the pack automagically. It could have
been better explained on that news page.

Original BS looked much the same as original HL - easiest thing to spot in
the update is things like ties - in original this kind of detail was just
'painted' onto the shirt. IIRC - the pack only affects the models.

Quoth The Raven: Alfie [UK] <me@privacy.net> in
kj91i15her3mtjj0h66s1ghbf4k9e9iats@4ax.com
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:56:21 -0400, Brian Siano
> <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
>> That reminds me, I have a technical question re the High-Def pak.
>> When I start up the Steam News, it shows a link that'll download the
>> pak to my machine. Thing is, the link doesn't do anything-- Opera
>> doesn't recognize it as a proper protocol, and using IE and Netscape
>> hasn't brought me any results. (In those browsers, I don't get the
>> error message, but I also don't get no High-Def yumminess.) Any
>> suggestions?
>>
> You have to have Steam running when you click the link, and then the
> update status of HL1, HL:OF, and HL:BS will change. Restart Steam and
> try to launch HL1 to force it to update (it wouldn't automatically
> update when I left it for an hour) and you should then see 'HD Pack
> enabled' next to status.

yeah, I did that last night, all three programs seemed unupdated so I
launched one, and all three updated over night, but they seemed to not
want to update any other way.

--
"To sit alone with my conscience will be judgment enough for me." -
Charles William Stubbs

Highlandish wrote:
> Quoth The Raven: Alfie [UK] <me@privacy.net> in
> kj91i15her3mtjj0h66s1ghbf4k9e9iats@4ax.com
>
>>On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:56:21 -0400, Brian Siano
>><siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>That reminds me, I have a technical question re the High-Def pak.
>>>When I start up the Steam News, it shows a link that'll download the
>>>pak to my machine. Thing is, the link doesn't do anything-- Opera
>>>doesn't recognize it as a proper protocol, and using IE and Netscape
>>>hasn't brought me any results. (In those browsers, I don't get the
>>>error message, but I also don't get no High-Def yumminess.) Any
>>>suggestions?
>>>

>>You have to have Steam running when you click the link, and then the
>>update status of HL1, HL:OF, and HL:BS will change. Restart Steam and
>>try to launch HL1 to force it to update (it wouldn't automatically
>>update when I left it for an hour) and you should then see 'HD Pack
>>enabled' next to status.
>

> yeah, I did that last night, all three programs seemed unupdated so I
> launched one, and all three updated over night, but they seemed to not
> want to update any other way.

Sorta the same story here. I had Steam running when I clicked on the
link. For IE, at least, there was a brief "downloading" blip in the
status bar. So... should I just leave Steam running overnight, or something?

>> "Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
>>>
>>> That reminds me, I have a technical question re the High-Def pak. When I
>>> start up the Steam News, it shows a link that'll download the pak to my
>>> machine. Thing is, the link doesn't do anything-- Opera doesn't
>>> recognize it as a proper protocol, and using IE and Netscape hasn't
>>> brought me any results. (In those browsers, I don't get the error
>>> message, but I also don't get no High-Def yumminess.) Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> (In case yer wondering, yes, I did restart the games, I did restart my
>>> machine, I've basically done what seems reasonable.)
>>>
>> Me too. All I can say is that it looks better than vanilla Half-Life. :)
>> That link in the news didn't work for me either. When I started Blue
>> Shift, it started downloading stuff for a couple minutes, then I played
>> it. I've never seen Blue Shift before now so can't tell ya what it's
>> supposed to look like.
>> McG.
>
> The link 'did' work for you, the workings just aint visible - I'm
> guessing the link is just some form of notification that you want the pack
> so that next time you go to play it d-loads the pack automagically. It
> could have been better explained on that news page.
>
> Original BS looked much the same as original HL - easiest thing to spot in
> the update is things like ties - in original this kind of detail was just
> 'painted' onto the shirt. IIRC - the pack only affects the models.

You see the Barneys ties, the faces look a little different, the Kleiner
model faces look older, some other things look brighter. could be the new
vid card too huh? Anyway, HL1, OF and Blue Shift say they have the HD pack
enabled. Blue shift is interesting, but as quickly as Barney got to Xen I
figure it will be shorter than HL. It's pretty good tho. Get to watch
Gordon go by a few times :) Get to feel that weirdness knowing your Barney
is in the same spots you've watched him as Gordon a few times. It is odd
though not having the HEV and the charger does nothing for ya. I
automatically try to use it after playing HL again :)
McG.

Quoth The Raven: Brian Siano <bsiano@bellatlantic.net> in
fS4Ue.165$cM1.62@trndny08
> Sorta the same story here. I had Steam running when I clicked on the
> link. For IE, at least, there was a brief "downloading" blip in the
> status bar. So... should I just leave Steam running overnight, or
> something?

I suppose, all three games were at 60-80% complete after I clicked the
link, I decided to run BS and it said it needed updating when the
monitor said it wasn't. there was a progress bar moving very slowly in
BS before launch, so I left it overnight. 7 hours later all 3 were 100%
complete. dunno how long it actually took though, might have been only
an hour.

--
Life can only be understood backwards - but it must be lived forwards

Highlandish wrote:
> Quoth The Raven: Brian Siano <bsiano@bellatlantic.net> in
> fS4Ue.165$cM1.62@trndny08
>
>>Sorta the same story here. I had Steam running when I clicked on the
>>link. For IE, at least, there was a brief "downloading" blip in the
>>status bar. So... should I just leave Steam running overnight, or
>>something?
>

> I suppose, all three games were at 60-80% complete after I clicked the
> link, I decided to run BS and it said it needed updating when the
> monitor said it wasn't. there was a progress bar moving very slowly in
> BS before launch, so I left it overnight. 7 hours later all 3 were 100%
> complete. dunno how long it actually took though, might have been only
> an hour.

I already had Blue Shift downloaded. Just to see what happens for me, I
just tried to run it. It immediately started a 15-18 minute update
(must be the Hi-Def pack, since I already had Blue Shift downloaded
through Steam). No need to leave it running overnight or do anything
tricky...

sketch

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003

> Original BS looked much the same as original HL - easiest thing to spot in
> the update is things like ties - in original this kind of detail was just
> 'painted' onto the shirt. IIRC - the pack only affects the models.

Weapons got upgraded, too. The Glock got replaced with a Beretta, etc.

"Sketch" <no@nah.nut> wrote in message news:dg0if9$3f2$1@news.tamu.edu...
>> Original BS looked much the same as original HL - easiest thing to spot
>> in the update is things like ties - in original this kind of detail was
>> just 'painted' onto the shirt. IIRC - the pack only affects the models.
>
> Weapons got upgraded, too. The Glock got replaced with a Beretta, etc.

I finished Blue Shift last night. Having played HL1 through a bunch of
times, it was a refreshing look at the game from another persons
perspective. I did see that the character models all got a needed facelift
:) It appears that some things got better looking textures too. I'm also
going through HL1 again to have a look at whatever new was popped in.
McG.

shawk

> "Sketch" <no@nah.nut> wrote in message news:dg0if9$3f2$1@news.tamu.edu...
>>> Original BS looked much the same as original HL - easiest thing to spot
>>> in the update is things like ties - in original this kind of detail was
>>> just 'painted' onto the shirt. IIRC - the pack only affects the models.
>>
>> Weapons got upgraded, too. The Glock got replaced with a Beretta, etc.
>>
> I finished Blue Shift last night. Having played HL1 through a bunch of
> times, it was a refreshing look at the game from another persons
> perspective. I did see that the character models all got a needed
> facelift :) It appears that some things got better looking textures too.
> I'm also going through HL1 again to have a look at whatever new was popped
> in.
> McG.

Lot of folk moaned how short it was when BS came out but IIRC it was cheap
when released and with the high-def pack for HL and OpFor as well I thought
it was worthwhile. Was never going to set the world alight but worthwhile.

>>> Weapons got upgraded, too. The Glock got replaced with a Beretta, etc.
>>>
>> I finished Blue Shift last night. Having played HL1 through a bunch of
>> times, it was a refreshing look at the game from another persons
>> perspective. I did see that the character models all got a needed
>> facelift :) It appears that some things got better looking textures too.
>> I'm also going through HL1 again to have a look at whatever new was
>> popped in.
>> McG.
>
> Lot of folk moaned how short it was when BS came out but IIRC it was cheap
> when released and with the high-def pack for HL and OpFor as well I
> thought it was worthwhile. Was never going to set the world alight but
> worthwhile.

Yep. I think folks that played HL oughtta play OF and BS right after it :)
They sorta just go together.
McG.

Sketch wrote:
>>Original BS looked much the same as original HL - easiest thing to spot in
>>the update is things like ties - in original this kind of detail was just
>>'painted' onto the shirt. IIRC - the pack only affects the models.
>

> Weapons got upgraded, too. The Glock got replaced with a Beretta, etc.

Original weapon stats are still in effect though (i.e. M4 does the same
damage as the original MP5, Beretta does the same damage as the original
Glock, etc).

"GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sketch wrote:
>>>Original BS looked much the same as original HL - easiest thing to spot
>>>in the update is things like ties - in original this kind of detail was
>>>just 'painted' onto the shirt. IIRC - the pack only affects the models.
>>

>> Weapons got upgraded, too. The Glock got replaced with a Beretta, etc.
>
> Original weapon stats are still in effect though (i.e. M4 does the same
> damage as the original MP5, Beretta does the same damage as the original
> Glock, etc).

Was kinda irksome that Barney didn't pick up a crossbow though. Wasn't as
much to USE it on till late in the game. But it still would have been fun
to have a scope at least :)
McG.

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, McGrandpa wrote:

> I think folks that played HL oughtta play OF and BS right after it :)
> They sorta just go together.

Shameless plug: And then they should continue with my own mod Xen-Warrior
which shows the event from yet another perspective ;).

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Sketch wrote:

> Weapons got upgraded, too. The Glock got replaced with a Beretta, etc.

Which didn't make much sense because the Glock actually can fire under
water, but the Bretta can't. Similar regarding the MP5 sharing ammo...