Bluetooth 5 Launches With 2x The Speed, 4x The Range Of Bluetooth 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
>, the fact that one of the world's largest tech companies seems to have a vendetta against physical connections

That's an odd, seemingly-paranoid, interpretation of technology moving forward.

Lord_Sunday123

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Not necessarily. Newer tech is generally faster while using more or less the same amount of power, plus we're already figuring out how to add more power into devices of the same sizes anyways.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

I'd say it's more likely to do with radio handling and dynamic scaling to save power. Use more power instantaneously, but finish the transmission in half the time, thus saving power and giving a better top speed at the same time. Distance is a little harder, but better antenna configuration and design (or just more of them in general) could lend to better beamforming or reception.

Stukes

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
If power draw was reduced (or even the same) I'd expect them to mention it as a bullet point in their press release.
"More range and speed with the same power usage!!"

The omission of any power draw info points to it using more. I'm hoping it behaves dynamically, but again, i would have thought they'd mention it if could scale nicely.
I'd be happy enough if devices that didnt need the extra bandwidth/range defaulted to bluetooth 4 to save battery life.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
As long as it doesn't increase the battery drain, or improves it, I'm glad to hear this. A work day with a bluetooth speaker is pretty brutal on my phone.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
For the last 3 or 4 years I've read spec sheets about improved options for BT but then in other articles I've read that most dev's are still only using the most basic security encryptions for the handshakes. These same articles have then pointed at BT as a significant wireless security risk greater than 802.11 protocols.

On the other hand I'm happier for more speed and distance but not at the cost of another back door to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.