Bluetooth headset no sound through VOIP, only audio

Aug 7, 2018
I have a BeatsX bluetooth earphone that has a mic and I'm currently having issues with using it for VOIP on Windows 7. Essentially when I connect the earphones to Window 7, it comes up as 2 different playback devices "Bluetooth Headphones" and "Bluetooth Headset".

The issue I'm having is that if I disconnect the VOIP and only have it as listening to music, then the earphone will playback audio as a "Bluetooth Headphones" device. However when I connect the VOIP to use it for Skype or video calls, I lose all audio but the microphone works. Note that the sound level meter on the playback devices next to the "Bluetooth Headphones" and the "Bluetooth Headset" is still registering - but I get neither audio through the earphone.

So the issue boils down to:

- I either have audio through the earphone by disconnecting VOIP and having it playback through the "Bluetooth Headphones" device and lose the use of the microphone

or

- Connect to VOIP and have the microphone working, but lose all audio as the earphone seems to neither connect to the "Bluetooh Headset" device or the "Bluetooth Headphone" device.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Side note: The bluetooth device in my laptop is Intel and many of solutions for any VOIP audio issues I've read so far have been for Broadcom. So thus far I haven't found any fixes to my problem.

Second side note: When I first connected the earphone, I got a "bluetooth peripheral device driver not found" error. I've tried to fix this by manually installing a microsoft driver based on my research. Please advice if this should be changed to something else, or if it is the root of my issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.