[SOLVED] Bluetooth Interference

Nov 15, 2019
Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, just wanted to ask about Bluetooth interference. I have both a PC and Mac Mini, recently I have been getting a lot of lag from the Mac Mini Mouse and Keyboard. Up until Recently I have never had an issue. The only thing that has changed is that I installed a PCI-E wifi/bluetooth card into my PC, this one to be precise. Now I can't say that my issues started at exactly this time although it was around it. Even if the PC is switched off it makes no difference but someone in my office suggested that even without power it could still be causing interference.

I don't know whether that is true or not, so I wanted to ask some experts (compared to me) whether it could be true before I remove the card and see if it makes any difference. Nothing else has changed in my setup, so it is either this new card or just unlucky for me the Mac Mini has developed an issue after a year of perfect operation.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
So, I have moved as many of the devices from 2.4GHz to 5GHz as I am able and after initially making no difference, I restarted the Mac Mini and the mouse/keyboard lag is completely gone. So at the moment seems to be resolved.

Hopefully, that was the answer, time will tell :)

Ralston18

Titan
Reactions: Wisel
Nov 15, 2019
Thanks, the battery level is fine, they are non-replaceable in any event. I am now wondering if it is simply congestion at the 2.4GHz level. I have 11 devices around my desk using wifi and/or Bluetooth that are often switched on at all times:

iPad Pro
Apple Pencil
iPhone
Apple Watch
Air Pods Pro
Magic Mouse
Magic Keyboard
MX Master 2S Mouse
Mac Mini
Amazon Echo
Plus the new PCI-E card with wifi/Bluetooth in the PC

And that is before I add the rest of the family using up to another 9 devices through WIFI. Wonder if a lot of devices on at the same time is causing the issue.

It should be able to handle all those easily enough but the router is one provided by my ISP so it may just be a factor.

Never really thought about it before, all of my devices are right next to the router so I can move them all off 2.4GHz and put them on 5GHz, that may help. Will update.

Nov 15, 2019
So, I have moved as many of the devices from 2.4GHz to 5GHz as I am able and after initially making no difference, I restarted the Mac Mini and the mouse/keyboard lag is completely gone. So at the moment seems to be resolved.

Hopefully, that was the answer, time will tell :)

Solution