Bluetooth keyboard and mouse disconnect after a few seconds

simple0

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I had to reinstall from scratch Windows 10 Enterprise 32-bit on my Dell Venue 8 Pro 32 GB tablet.
After the first installation, the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (both work fine under Windows 8.1), disconnected after 10-12 seconds. However, probably after one of the automatic updates, they started working normally (it took about a day or so).
Now, after the 2nd Windows 10 installation, the problem with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse reappeared. I forced the Windows updates, but no luck.
It's curious because, if I keep the Settings window active, on the Bluetooth page, both the keyboard and the mouse work. If I minimize the Settings window, after about 30 seconds, both devices stop working. If I close the Settings window, or move to a different settings page, both devices stop working immediately.
I have changed the Bluetooth Support Service from Manual to Automatic, but it did not help. Running the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter did not help either.

Does anybody has any idea how to fix this glitch?

Solution
I've found the answer to my own question. It seems Windows 10 enables by default the setting "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power". For my tablet, this setting is in Device Manager, the properties of Bluetooth Radio, the Power Management tab.
The implementation in Windows 10 of this power saving feature is very poor, because it disconnects the keyboard and the mouse after 10-12 seconds, while they are in active use. It probably happens with any Bluetooth device in Windows 10, since the Bluetooth Radio turns itself off "to save power".

simple0

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I've found the answer to my own question. It seems Windows 10 enables by default the setting "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power". For my tablet, this setting is in Device Manager, the properties of Bluetooth Radio, the Power Management tab.
The implementation in Windows 10 of this power saving feature is very poor, because it disconnects the keyboard and the mouse after 10-12 seconds, while they are in active use. It probably happens with any Bluetooth device in Windows 10, since the Bluetooth Radio turns itself off "to save power".

Solution