Question Bluetooth Speaker Audio Cutoff - I've Tried Everything

Mar 18, 2021
I have an Insignia NS-2810BT speaker (with a Realtek Bluetooth dongle) that cuts off the audio usually about a couple of minutes after a fresh bootup of my Windows 10 computer. If I'm lucky, it may stay on for a couple of hours after applying a "fix", but it soon cuts off again and I'm back to rebooting. I've tried everything I can think of or find online and I'm absolutely at my wit's end! The odd thing to me is that when it cuts off, there's no indication of it on my desktop: Bluetooth shows as being on, Volume remains at a normal level and the speakers show as "Connected music."

Before we get into whether or not I updated my drivers (I did), here's what I've tried so far:

1. Ensured I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 20H2
  2. Checked for Driver updates on both the speaker and the dongle (unable to Roll Back). I have done both "Search Automatically for Drivers" and "Browse my computer > Let me pick from a list" and tried every option after a reboot. The most I can get is about 30 minutes of audio before it cuts off again.
  3. Uninstalled the drivers then rebooted the computer. The drivers install, audio runs ok for a bit, then cuts off again.
  4. I have heard mention of being able to go into Device Manager, right clicking the device, clicking "Properties" and finding a Power management tab. There's no such tab to be found on mine.
  5. Running the Bluetooth troubleshooter. Either I get a) a message saying Bluetooth Radio Status was fixed and the audio starts playing....then cuts off again after a few minutes, or b) Bluetooth is turned off and cannot be turned back on until a reboot with a red X next to the speaker logo in the Taskbar
  6. Going to Services and restarting Bluetooth Support Service and Bluetooth Audio Gateway and opening their Properties and ensuring their Startup type is set to Automatic
  7. Image repair scan (this made the audio stick for about a day): opened Powershell as Administrator, ran Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted then Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}, rebooted my machine, opened Command Prompt as Administrator and ran the following commands before a reboot:
    1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    2. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    3. DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    4. sfc /scannow
  8. Full factory reset of the computer. Same results.
Any other solutions, ideas of what's going on, constructive criticism, or calming words that'll talk me out of flinging my computer out the window (without opening it first) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't know what your rig is...but I have a laptop that was damaged and given to me for work use. It's internal Bluetooth will cut out when I surpass a certain amount of memory overhead. The laptop only has 8GB and with everything I have open for work is commonly using 3/4 or more of it. When I open certain apps (beyond that) it will quit working.

Mar 18, 2021
Test the speaker with another bluetooth connection, phone, tablet, another computer.

Ok, so the Insignia speakers will connect to another computer and my phone, just to be sure. I got some other Bluetooth speakers and when the Bluetooth goes blank, it won't connect to other speakers or headsets. It will recognize them then I put them in pairing mode, but when I select them to connect, it will process it for a few seconds then say it wasn't able to connect to them.

Mar 18, 2021
I don't know what your rig is...but I have a laptop that was damaged and given to me for work use. It's internal Bluetooth will cut out when I surpass a certain amount of memory overhead. The laptop only has 8GB and with everything I have open for work is commonly using 3/4 or more of it. When I open certain apps (beyond that) it will quit working.

Ok thanks for the input, for me it doesn't occur with any particular app or if I have a lot open. It usually only takes a minute or two after a fresh bootup before it goes out, usually all I have open is the web browser.

And this is the rig:

Windows 10 20H2 OS 19042.868
Intel Core i3 4170
Lenovo Sharkbay PCI Express 2.0 motherboard
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 (GM107)

In case any of that helps