Question Bluetooth stopped working on Asus Z170I Pro Gaming

Jan 9, 2020
Hello,

I'have an Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ITX motherboard in my computer. As I understand it, the board has a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A bluetooth chip on it. I've been using this board with Windows 10 for a while now, using the built in BT to connect a Logitech keyboard and other BT devices, and until today I have never had any issues with it whatsoever.

But today my keyboard wouldn't connect, and when I check the the BT settings in Windows, it tells me that BT is disabled, and the slider for turning BT on and off is also gone.

Checking the Device Manager, I see that the entire BT category has been moved to hidden devices, and they are all greyed out. When I check the status of the Qualcomm QCA61x4A chip, it reports as code 45, not connected to the computer.

In addition to this, an unknown USB device has popped up under USB controllers, "Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)", reporting code 43, Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.

So far I've tried the following:
  • Restart
  • Shut down and remove power
  • Install the latest BT driver from Asus
  • Update all the drivers for every device listed under both USB and Bluetooth
  • Reverted to a system restore point from the 20th of December last year, at which time the BT was working normally.
  • Manually starting the Bluetooth Support Service
So far I've had no luck with any of my attempts, and I'm beginning to wonder if the Qualcomm chip has just kicked the bucket altogether. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tnx

SandMan874

Turn off the computer, turn off the PSU and unplug it, replug and turn on the PSU, turn on the PC. Your bluetooth should be discovered by your PC and usable.

In order to prevent the PC from turning off the device do the following:

1. go to Device Manager
  2. Expand Bluetooth
  3. Select the Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth device
  4. right click, select properties
  5. select the Power management tab
  6. uncheck Allow computer to turn off this device to save power

Jan 9, 2020
Turn off the computer, turn off the PSU and unplug it, replug and turn on the PSU, turn on the PC. Your bluetooth should be discovered by your PC and usable.

In order to prevent the PC from turning off the device do the following:

1. go to Device Manager
  2. Expand Bluetooth
  3. Select the Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth device
  4. right click, select properties
  5. select the Power management tab
  6. uncheck Allow computer to turn off this device to save power

Thanks for the suggestions.
I've tried the remove power procedure, but unfortunately the USB device and Qualcomm BT device still report code 43 and 45 respectively upon boot up.

And the extended properties for the Qualcomm Atheros BT device are not available as long as the device reports as code 45, not connected to the computer, so I can't change any of the power options as before I can get the device online again.

Good thoughts though, thanks.

SandMan 874

Jan 11, 2020
But today my keyboard wouldn't connect, and when I check the the BT settings in Windows, it tells me that BT is disabled, and the slider for turning BT on and off is also gone.

Checking the Device Manager, I see that the entire BT category has been moved to hidden devices, and they are all greyed out. When I check the status of the Qualcomm QCA61x4A chip, it reports as code 45, not connected to the computer.

Hello SandMan874,

I have the same problem with the same motherboard as yours (quoted above). I can't say for sure when it started, two days ago I faced this problem with my bluetooth speaker were not able to connect to my PC.

I'd like to know if you fixed the problem at the end?

Best regards,
perython

Jan 9, 2020
Hello Perython,

Unfortunately, the problem persists despite my best efforts to diagnose it. I will probably try booting a live OS from a USB drive to see if that one will see and be able to use the BT chip. If that fails, then I'm starting to think the that something on the board has kicked the bucket altogether.

I'm curious about the unknown USB device which shows code 43 on my system. Right now, I'm wondering if this device is the interface between the Qualcomm and the USB on the board. If my assumptions are correct, this device being fried is preventing the OS from seeing the Qualcomm chip as connected to then system. Hence code 45, device disconnected.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I've had a chance to test with a live OS.

Best regards,

SandMan874

Jan 11, 2020
Reactions: xlla
Feb 13, 2020
Hello SandMan874 ,

thanks for the answer.

At the end I solved the problem by shutting down the PC, turning off the PSU (switching off the power button on it and unplugging power cable). Then plugged it back, turned PC on and now I have bluetooth working.
Got advice from https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93816-Strix-z270i-bluetooth-problem-and-how-I-fixed-it

I hope you already fixed your bluetooth or this will help you.

best regards,
perython
I have encounter same problem and resolved by your instruction, many thanks!

Dec 4, 2023
Hello, this has helped me multiple times throughout the years and I keep forgetting and then finding the same solution after a lot of frustration. I still cannot believe that this is the solution:
shut down, turn off PSU, unplug PSU, replug, turn back on, start computer -> bluetooth is fine again
Amazing, thank you so much