Question Bluetooth suddenly stopped working

Hi guys,

Bluetooth suddenly stopped working on my laptop and the option to turn it on and off has disappeared from the Action Centre. I've tried various troubleshooting things from Google but so far no luck. Has anyone encounter this before?

I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue. Bluetooth is still visible on Device Manager. The Bluetooth Support Service was not running but I've started it again, it hasn't made a difference though. The laptop is a Lenovo 720S 14".

So far I've tried:

--Restarting the Bluetooth Support Service/Tweaker Proxy Service
--Re-adding Bluetooth to Action Centre (option was unavailable)
--Uninstalling and reinstalling Bluetooth device
--Bluetooth troubleshooter

Thanks

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I've tried various troubleshooting things from Google but so far no luck. Has anyone encounter this before?
In order to not repeat what hasn't worked for you, please state what it is that you've tried prior to opening this thread.

Using the serial number for your laptop in Lenovo's support page and using CPU-Z to see what your current BIOS version is listed as under the Mainboard's tab, see if your laptop is pending any updates. You can then try uninstalling your BlueTooth adapter drivers from device manager(assuming you're on Windows 10 and your thread's tag at the top left isn't a mistake), then manually reinstall the BlueTooth adapter's drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Don't reboot the machine after unisntalling, mind you.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
I've tried various troubleshooting things from Google but so far no luck. Has anyone encounter this before?
In order to not repeat what hasn't worked for you, please state what it is that you've tried prior to opening this thread.

Using the serial number for your laptop in Lenovo's support page and using CPU-Z to see what your current BIOS version is listed as under the Mainboard's tab, see if your laptop is pending any updates. You can then try uninstalling your BlueTooth adapter drivers from device manager(assuming you're on Windows 10 and your thread's tag at the top left isn't a mistake), then manually reinstall the BlueTooth adapter's drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Don't reboot the machine after unisntalling, mind you.
Your quite right, I've added what I've tried so far to the original post. I updated the bios a couple of years ago, I've checked and it's still the latest version. I'll have a go reinstalling the BT drivers with elevated privileges and yes I'm on Windows 10. I have noticed something weird, the device manager is constantly refreshing which makes it difficult to do anything. There's also a Windows Update from today that didn't install correctly. I've tried it a few times now and it's not working, I wonder if that's messed anything up.

Thanks for the suggestions

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
I have noticed something weird, the device manager is constantly refreshing which makes it difficult to do anything. There's also a Windows Update from today that didn't install correctly
Might be a good idea to keep your bootable USB installer for the OS handy. I suspect that the OS is corrupt when you've stated that the Device Manager is refreshing.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
I'm not 100% sure why but when I switched on the laptop this morning Bluetooth was working again as normal. I did install a Bluetooth update through Lenovo Vantage though so maybe it was a driver issue and that fixed it. I notice that device manager is no longer refreshing constantly now. I don't think there's any need for further action.

Might be a good idea to keep your bootable USB installer for the OS handy. I suspect that the OS is corrupt when you've stated that the Device Manager is refreshing.
I think I did create a recovery thing a few years ago but that's long lost now. I think I'll create a backup of this OS install and upgrade to Windows 11.

Thanks for your assistance.

Reactions: Lutfij