Info Blunting the value proposition of a Rocket launch?

It's called microcenter being microcenter.

Problem is, microcenter is MIA in my area, or most areas of the universe tbh.
Oh i hear ya...but with Amazon showing better availability too it must be loosening up. I'm watching them to see when they follow suit!

Reading between the lines a bit, I have to wonder if the impending launch is shaking up AMD's 7nm wafer and chiplet allocation strategies.

Last edited:
The AMD chip shortage would resolve itself on its own. AMD was ambitious in releasing 2 consoles, a new GPU line and new CPU line in 1 season, and with pandemic related things at play, it took a bit for the chips to ramp.

Gpus are another story. The demand of them for cyryptomining is only going to continue for now and anything released is getting bought up before it leaves the country or hits the shelves in most cases. Then scalpers or miners using bots buy up any thst pop online for 6 seconds.

The AMD chip shortage would resolve itself on its own. AMD was ambitious in releasing 2 consoles, a new GPU line and new CPU line in 1 season, and with pandemic related things at play, it took a bit for the chips to ramp.

Gpus are another story. The demand of them for cyryptomining is only going to continue for now and anything released is getting bought up before it leaves the country or hits the shelves in most cases. Then scalpers or miners using bots buy up any thst pop online for 6 seconds.
Oh yah...cryptominers have really messed up the average gamer's ability to get a new GPU so that's a lot more complicated. But even so, still impacted by the finite supply of 7nm wafers. But so long as Nvidia is no where to be found on the shelves there's no real pressure to put yours on the shelves either...so long as the raw material (your 7nm wafer allotment) is 100% used up at a better profit.

As far as CPU's are concerned, I think AMD's being picky-choosey with which markets they serve more aggressively. So game consoles (with hard committments already inked) will obviously get full service. But since taking Intel's market share in HEDT market is pretty important that will get well served. As well as the enterprise server market, which I've read less about. At any rate: AMD's bottom line sales sure show they're selling. Just not to us DIY'rs in huge Intel-scale numbers, apparently.

So yah, it's us poor desktop and DIY'ers that are on the short end. For this market, just staying 'in the news' with the gaming crown might do it while raking it in with higher margin sales making strategic market in-roads elsewhere. That scalpers were selling them at huge markup just shows us it worked, too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

It's called microcenter being microcenter.

Problem is, microcenter is MIA in my area, or most areas of the universe tbh.

What I wanna know is how can I be in Seattle with the closest Microcenter being 1200 miles away on the other side of LA?

It's gonna be a conspiracy.

Would it be cheaper to just go to the store in Denver? Anyone know?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/us

You can buy direct from AMD 2 days ago everything listed was in stock the cards sold out quick but the processors were still their most of the day. Usually their fully restocked about every 2 weeks so their no reason to pay scalper price for a processor.

For microcenter ya since the sale price is in store only they can make 20 bucks less on the processors to get you in the store. Their probably a ton of people that would see the price and say it's time to buy then buy a board, SSD, memory, or cooler while their at the store.
EDIT
@drea.drechsler

Just checked the site and you did miss this.
Save $20 when bundled with a compatible eligible motherboard

Last edited:
Well now, that's just confusing: seeing a big bold $279 sure makes one think that's the price. The $20 off 'with a compatible eligible motherboard' should be an ADDITIONAL $20 off the bundle.

You may be right but I'd sure want to talk to a manager if I don't get the advertised web price in the store. They may be counting on people just being tickled silly finding one and not noticing at checkout.