Question BluRay - DVD - CD Drives won't open under Windows 10 but they work ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Ok, I've had this problem for quite a while, but Since I haven't been using the drives much anymore, you just sort of forget about these things. But now......
Currently Connected to my system is an LG MoDisc BluRay/DVD/CD combo Drive, but the same happens for any other [optical] drive i connect, my older DVD/CD Lightscribe or even older Pioneer CD Drive.

On power up, If the system is in BIOS or Windows has not started, the drive opens and closes fine. However once windows has been on for a while, say 5 minutes, the drive will not open. I can still read a disc fine, or burn a disc, no problem. but the machine will not eject. The eject button does nothing. Trying to force the machine to eject through windows just results in some form of error.

Reboot the system, windows disappears from sight. push the eject button. Open she goes, change the disc, all good. Windows starts, and if im quick enough, say, run a cd ripper. rip a cd, then eject it, ok, pop in another, rip, eject, no problem. But leave the thing for 5 minutes or so, thats it, no more open until reboot.

I have asked this question of Microsoft a long while ago when windows 10 first reared its ugly head. and was told, change drivers, update driver, remove drivers and reinstall drivers, all the standard Microsoft replies, but nothing ever worked, in the end I was just told the drives are not compatible. Sorry, I don;t believe that for a minute when they work fine until they fall asleep.

So, Any Ideas? If theres anywhere thats gonna know the answer, If there is an answer, It's gonna be here.
Thanks In Advance
OzDrDj

Drive Connected again as per normal.
At First Boot, Immediatley, Click Eject, No Problem. Close the drive, Click Open Again, Error, Drive is now locked. and will remain that way until next boot.
If I try to access the drive though, The disc in there is an Audio CD, I can grab that fine, at anytime. However to change disc, Reboot.
I get the impression that it is Something that loads at startup.
The eject will work fine before this Something loads but once it is loaded the disc is locked.

Run this.............Speccy - Free Download
Read this and post a link to the speccy run.............Speccy...publish

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Chipset Driver, Never even gave it a thought. Management Engine Driver ?
Old version of Windows, I Like to use Swish Max to make Banners for my Website. Windows likes to remove Flash from my install, and Adobe are a pack of idiotswho wont listen when you ask for an install file cause its at EOL.
When I want to use Swish Max I have to try to fool Windows into installing Flash again. If I can't I end up installing my old version of windows again and again. Im Weird I Know.
And I have had Just Windows Antivus Running and got myself a beauty of a virus, I'll Stick with Avast. Malware bytes is just a backup but shouldn't be running in the background, neither should Macrium. That will be fixed momentarily.

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Sorry Mod, lol.
Just for interest then, Updated Chipset and Management Engine Drivers. Tried to update windows, It tells me unable at this time?
But also, on boot, left the drive open for half and hour. Came back, hit the close button, Drive closed, immediatle hit the button again, locked.
Is this the weirdest problem in the world or what?

Chipset Driver, Never even gave it a thought. Management Engine Driver ?
Old version of Windows, I Like to use Swish Max to make Banners for my Website. Windows likes to remove Flash from my install, and Adobe are a pack of idiotswho wont listen when you ask for an install file cause its at EOL.
When I want to use Swish Max I have to try to fool Windows into installing Flash again. If I can't I end up installing my old version of windows again and again. Im Weird I Know.
And I have had Just Windows Antivus Running and got myself a beauty of a virus, I'll Stick with Avast. Malware bytes is just a backup but shouldn't be running in the background, neither should Macrium. That will be fixed momentarily.

Mod Edit for Language
The uninstall of avast and other stuff is just to make the pot smaller.
You can always install it again if no help.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
You're not gonna believe this. I don't believe it. I don't get it, I don't understand it?
Got myself all 11 seasons of Frasier on DVD and began the harrowing task of converting every episode to High Quality 16:9 AC-3.
Begin, Disc 1, Your DVD Rom Drive is set to Region 5? Don't even know where that is, but, Do you want to switch your drive to Region 4 for Australia. Yeah, what the hell, I'm not going to say no and use a brute force extraction for 44 discs.
So, I sample disc 1 eject, sample disc 2, eject sample disc 3, eject, I'm up to disc 10 before I realize. Hey, My drives working properly. I leave disc 10 in there, wander off and forget about it for a while, come back, eject, No Problem.
So, It would seem, that by setting the DVD drive to the correct region, everything has begun to work correctly. Is there a region setting on all of my old drives that I have never set either? Or, is this all just a ridiculous coincidence?
No Idea, but I'll keep testing and let you know, but so far, so good.
:unsure:

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Nope, Left the drive empty for a while and it's stuck again. It seems if i leave a DVD in the drive it remembers its there. I can leave it there for hours, come back and its still ok. But empty, Forgotten in minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.