Question Blurry, improperly sized image when Laptop lid closed

Sep 8, 2022
Hey guys, just trying to work out the kinks after completing a new build this weekend that included a new monitor. Previously on my old monitor, when I would close my work laptop's lid, the display would only show on my monitor and looked fine. If I opened the lid up, it would show a duplicate display.

Now when I closed my lid, on the new monitor, the display size becomes rather small (640 x 480) and you can't even read words/letters. Totally ineligible. This is on Windows 10 and using an HDMI cable.

I opened back the lid and checked some settings and think I found where the issue is. If I go to Display Settings > Advanced Display, I can see my new monitor there. The Desktop Resolution shows 1920 x 1080 however the Active signal Resolution shows 640 x 480. If I click below that, Display Adapter properties for Display 1 and then click List All Modes, I see a multitude of resolutions and their hertz. It defaults here, 1920 by 1080, True Color (32 bit), 60 hertz. There is another one there for 48 hertz. If I swap to that one, it corrects the resolution on the monitor. I then click to revert back to old settings and it still holds properly. The Active Resolution then shows 1920 x 1080. If I close my lid, gone. It goes back to Active Resolution 640 x 480. Any ideas on this one?

Thank you.

Sep 8, 2022
I think it's just IGPU. Says,
Chip Type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family.
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter String: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

It worked fine without issues on my old monitor which was 1080p only, 1920by1080. This new one can go up to 2560 x 1440 but I see it limited to 1920 by 1080 on the laptop.