[SOLVED] BN182 630W Hybrid Modular Power Supply

Jan 3, 2021
Hey. I'm going to build a new system and wondered if this PSU can be used to power the latest Ryzens or Intel's.
I understand I'll need a new main board, ddr4 etc as well. I'm not entirely set on what to go for regarding best value for money. Used to be well up with current pc building, but I've been out of it for so long now.
Any advice greatly received.

Solution
Yes, very pertinent point. Do you know if the mainboard connections are the same still? Or have they been changed since this psu was new? It'd be a shame to retire the psu in my oppinion.
Power supplies have perishable components in them, one of which are multiple electrolytic capacitors. These age over time but not like fine wine. Their ability to hold a charge becomes compromised and eventually they will leak fluid.

12 volt regulation circuitry can go out of spec along with weakening ripple suppression and damage other system components slowly even though the power supply seems to be working fine. This has the effect of shortening the lifespan of other parts.

Protective circuitry can also lose effectiveness over time and if...
Hey. I'm going to build a new system and wondered if this PSU can be used to power the latest Ryzens or Intel's.
I understand I'll need a new main board, ddr4 etc as well. I'm not entirely set on what to go for regarding best value for money. Used to be well up with current pc building, but I've been out of it for so long now.
Any PSU with appropriate leads can work anywhere. Modern ones have even more leads than needed for most applications.
Power wise, it depends on particular setup (Intel or AMD/Ryzen, doesn't matter) and mostly according to power required by GPU.
Sooooo.... to decide, you must know all main components first and then look at appropriate PSU.

I think a better question would be- Why would you even consider using an old power supply with a new build? It's a lower budget model that's out of warranty by now. Retire it and get a new, proper quality unit to protect your new system.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021
I think a better question would be- Why would you even consider using an old power supply with a new build? It's a lower budget model that's out of warranty by now. Retire it and get a new, proper quality unit to protect your new system.
Yes, very pertinent point. Do you know if the mainboard connections are the same still? Or have they been changed since this psu was new? It'd be a shame to retire the psu in my oppinion.

Power supplies have perishable components in them, one of which are multiple electrolytic capacitors. These age over time but not like fine wine. Their ability to hold a charge becomes compromised and eventually they will leak fluid.

12 volt regulation circuitry can go out of spec along with weakening ripple suppression and damage other system components slowly even though the power supply seems to be working fine. This has the effect of shortening the lifespan of other parts.

Protective circuitry can also lose effectiveness over time and if the power supply fails, it can take the system down with it. This would be a hard lesson to learn with a bunch of new components getting fried. Modern power supplies include better protections than older models and are in fact a safety device besides delivering system power.

Motherboard connections are largely unchanged in the last 10 years or so. If your power supply has a 24-pin main connection, EPS 4+4 (CPU), SATA (disk drives) and PCIe (video card) connectors then it's fine, as far as connectors are concerned.

A new power supply will come with all the cables you need for new system components. A high quality model will come with a 7-10 year warranty and is a great investment for system reliability and dependability. Take it from an old gamer himself (Doom, Quake, Earthsiege II, Mechwarrior 2).

Last edited:
Solution