Board won't power on with anything plugged in

kander712

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
I am totally stumped and am hoping someone can help. Building a mining rig for my brother, specs below. I can get it to bios when the 24 pin and 8 pin are plugged in but if I plug in anything else, even just an ssd, I get the old dreaded click from the PSU and nothing happens. I have tried multiple PSU's which I know are functional. Sometimes it won't even post with just the 24 and 8 pin plugged in. I am thinking it's a short of some kind. Strange thing is I am having this problem with two boards so I must be missing something. I tried reseating the CPU for giggles but am having no luck. Any ideas?

Build Specs:
TB250-BTC Motherboard
Corsair 1050 Power Supply
INtel 3930 CPU
580 GPUS (Haven't even plugged in yet)

Solution

Welcome to...

Welcome to Tom's!
I am going to refer you to our general troubleshooting guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
Work through the list. WORK!, not just read!
If you still have issues, come back here withe the results of EACH individual step in the list. Since we can neither see nor touch your PC, the answers to the questions give us valuable information that will allow us to eliminate [possible problems or common errors. Help us to help you!

Solution

kander712

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018

I have done all of these. Definitely plugged in correctly, I am just plugging in the 8 pin cpu and the motherboard. I tested the PSU on another board and it fired right up, even pulled a psu out of a functioning build and same thing. I am just using a single stick of DDR4, tried three different sticks in both slots to no avail. Reseated the CPU and checked pins. Using a stock cooler that is correctly seated and plugged in. CPU and RAM are on supported list. I can't figure it out other than the boards being bad but having two that are bad doesn't seem likely. I haven't worked with this board but I can't figure out what it would be.

If I plug in just the 24 and 8 pin with anything else it gives the single click and no power. Sometimes I can get to BIOS if I unplug everything and use just the 24 and 8 pin.

Again, what were the ANSWERS to each step? "I have done all of these" doesn't really tell us anything.
The list assumes that there are no hardware problems, so the result of working the list should be a fully functioning PC. If you aren't getting success, there are additional troubleshooting steps at the bottom of the list, including but not limited to, breadboarding the build outside of the case. We need more information in order to help you!