* * Boeing chooses AMD Supercluster * *

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/businesswire03-14-061650.asp?sym=AMD" target="_new">http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/businesswire03-14-061650.asp?sym=AMD</A>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Good for AMD.
The system in the jets won't have any cooling problems, with all the air passing the jet. ;-)

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! Yeah, I'm not sure I'd trust a passenger jet I was riding in to be AMD powered. But, like you said, if the CPU was mounted outside the plane it could potentially overlock to, what, maybe 3GHz??

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is not for design of jets but, booster rockets to lift payloads.

This very small cluster(96x) is for CFD, computational fluid dynamics.
For the light duty AMD is ok and cheap since SMP is not required. CFD on booster rockets has been around for the past 30+ years. step into GFD (geophysical fluid dynamics) and AMD is no where to be found.

Its just a monumental point for AMD actually scoring a cluster bid, boeing went the cheap route. nothing wrong with boeing saving a buck when computational power vs cost is a factor (since we been putting rockets in orbit for 30+ years). Amazing what sales people can sell these days.

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Awe, just because businesses are finally waking up to the performance benefits of an Athlon based system, in addition to the cost advantages, is no reason to get snipy. Or are you suggesting a 96 processor solution from Intel would beat it, costs be damned? I don't think even you would be that stupid, despite countless posts suggesting otherwise.

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Number one consideration when going with a cluster is SMP (you look supprised). AMD is currently void of SMP.

I can tell from your post that your clueless in this area, just a AMD lemming reply despite countless posts suggesting otherwise.

That number of "96" could be total machines sold, meaning that 48 could comprise the cluster and rest are for engineering, management, and workstations.

This bid came down to cost. not performance. if performance was the criteria, AMD would not have been a factor. that inferior cluster is far short of 700Gig per sec bandwidth I am used to installing.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Lets here your 'technical' explanation of SMP. come on, enlighten me...

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why does everyone in the forum always have to "one up" everyone else? does it make you guys feel better to be able to put down someone you dont even know? most people like those bickering in this post try to act all high and mighty, arguing over the stupidest things ad finitum. please cut your comments down to a purer state and leave out those amd or intel directed barbs.

My name is Mud.

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You've got to be kidding me!!! Do you honestly think Boeing, **BOEING**, would select AMD becuase they saved a few dollars? FUGGER, does Intel pay you to spew your worthless propoganda? If not, what motivates you? I can't even begin to understand why there are Intel droids like yourself who are so devoted to defending a company that doesn't even know you exist.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ROFL @ Holygrenade!!!

Ok, Einstien that post was from almost 6 months ago.

Now stroll your gimpness over to www.pricewatch.com and do a search for 760MP all you want. WTG

AMD is yet to bring SMP to the market.

I suggest you do a little reading on the net about SMP. Last thing I want is a gimp like you trying to critique me on SMP.

Try reading your link before you post it, and try to pick a product that is actually on the market next time. That usually helps your point.

Make your next stop www.amd.com and search for SMP. wow you find like ZERO subjects on SMP (imagine that)

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nikko, when investing in clusters your looking at a few hundred thousand to millions of dollars. not like the 20 bucks you saved.

The reason this article stand out is that AMD and cluster were never used in same sentance before. Its really a joke since the extreme light duty of this CFD model requires.

You have a problem with boeing saving a buck? you would rather boeing overkill this project.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
That sounds more like a madmans ranting, rather than an explanation into SMP.

You really don't know what SMP is do you?

To you it is just a buzz word.
Do you even know what the acronym stands for?
Do you know the difference between SMP and SMT?

Why am I even asking you these questions? Of Course you don't.

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is not the first cluster AMD has won. I recall reading an article several months ago about another AMD cluster.

There is a pretty major flaw in your 'cheap' comment. In business, if a department needs to buy some hardware, they send a capital expenditure request to their corporate uppers. They look at the request, putter around with the numbers, and respond with how much they can actually spend. So in this case, Boeing set aside X dollars to spend on a cluster to analyze data. How would spending that money on an ellegedly inferior cluster be the more cost concious decision? If an Intel solution is better, why didn't they buy it?

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/

G

Fugger,
Just for the record, IBM announced yesterday that it will be releasing Dual processor Athlon servers. While they may not be available yet, I think that is a pretty good indication that the product is both coming to market and is a viable, stable solution. But, I suppose IBM has just been suckered by all the AMD marketing hype and the Lemming mentality it has created. After all, AMD has a HUGE marketing presence (NOT).

G

Actually Fugger, SMP is often not a consideration at all for clusters. It all depends on your application, but if you need lots of memory, memory bandwidth, and network bandwidth per CPU, you never want more then 1 CPU per motherboard. A CFD problem fits this desciption very well due to the very large matrix sizes involved.

If you have smaller individual tasks, and stuff that can be efficiently threaded (as apposed to message passing), SMP is great and can significantly reduce the size & cost of a cluster. I may have to go with an Intel solution just because it can fit in one rack instead of two, despite the performance hit :-(

And by the way, trans-sonic CFD is NOT an "extreme light duty" application by any means.

My guess is Boeing went with AMD because they could get by with 96 CPUs instead of 120 Intel CPUs, and at a lower cost. In fact, this is exactly what Linux Networx reccomends for floating point compute bound applications. I know, because I was just discussing a 32 node cluster with them not 5 minutes ago. They promised to send some AMD vs. Intel floating point benchmarks with the quote.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

G

Another cluster vendor I talked to today mentioned that they will be offering SMP Athlon nodes in a few months.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
You can't answer me, can you?

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 03/14/01 08:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Fugger:

You wrote: "The reason this article stand out is that AMD and cluster were never used in same sentance before. Its really a joke since the extreme light duty of this CFD model requires"
Well, it appears they are begining to be mentioned more often. See this link http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/mbv/TechnThDyn/mpf/mpf_athlon_cluster.html
They do not seem to think that their application requires "lightweight"duty.

And This link:http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010122/ca_amd_3.html
for info on the Beowulf cluster.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Explaining SMP to you is useless.

Dig at all the angles you want, Ill tell you the same.
I wont waste my time. no copy, no paste, no search for URL. sorry your on your own. stay clueless.

Im not about to open myself up to your lame ass critique of my reply on SMP.

Sojourn, bieng as we do not know what boeing budgeted for this project lets not assume. but we can look at Linux NetworX and see that they are "cheapest" cluster solution provider available (just short of in house techs building custom). so price was a factor.

Boeing a big company going cheap route...

One thing we know for sure, SMP was not a factor.
If SMP were a factor, AMD would have not been quoted in this bid.