Book to learn about how computers work and how to fix them

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeviledMonkey

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Hello, I'm 14 and want to learn more about the workings of computers and how to fix computers. I also want to have an A+ certification so that someone may trust me a bit more with fixing their computer. I have built my own gaming rig and know the different parts of a computer, but other than that I don't understand how it all works. I can't afford classes to learn how to do this but I would like a book(s) to give me the basics of repairing computers. Any input is appreciated, and have a nice day :)

Solution
My recommendation:

Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs series.

And you may be able to find a recent edition via a used book store, Goodwill store, etc....

However, there are many online tutorials available that can help you. Some of those tutorials are in this forum.

Generally you need to read multiple sources to really see and understand the overall basics. I really like diagrams and photographs....

Then go "hands on" as much as you can.

Ralston18

Titan
My recommendation:

Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs series.

And you may be able to find a recent edition via a used book store, Goodwill store, etc....

However, there are many online tutorials available that can help you. Some of those tutorials are in this forum.

Generally you need to read multiple sources to really see and understand the overall basics. I really like diagrams and photographs....

Then go "hands on" as much as you can.

Solution

DeviledMonkey

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015

Thanks for your suggestion, I just wanted to know if that Scott Mueller book you recommended is good for a beginner like me or if it is for advanced procedures?

Ralston18

Titan
It gets very detailed but the explanations are overall excellent. You may find yourself looking for explanations for things within the explanation. However, for the sake of full disclosure, I sometimes have to do much the same. Lots going on and always lots more to learn.

And you may be able to find an older copy in a used book store or somewhere like Goodwill stores that carry books. Older editions will provide quite a bit of the basics. Plus you may be able to check out a copy via your local library. In fact any IT/Computer Science books will have some value for you. Not unusual to need to read two or three explanations to grasp the overall topic and achieve some level of understanding.

If there is a college nearby you may be able to pick up a few intro level books. Professors and instructors often get complimentary copies of books to review. Maybe you could find someone who is willing to give up extra copies. Or the book store may have discounted used text books for sale.

Plus there are many online tutorials - some very good one's in this forum.

Check out the "How To Geek" - he does some excellent tutorials ( www.howtogeek.com).

And keep doing hands on work. Pick up old computers whenevery you can to work on and experiment with. Once people know you are looking for such things you can quickly end up with a pile of stuff. Saves the landfills if there is no recycling centers around.

Lots of fun but get outside also. Keep up with your people skills and school classes. Writing, communications, math, and science will serve you well.

Nov 30, 2021
Hello, I'm 14 and want to learn more about the workings of computers and how to fix computers. I also want to have an A+ certification so that someone may trust me a bit more with fixing their computer. I have built my own gaming rig and know the different parts of a computer, but other than that I don't understand how it all works. I can't afford classes to learn how to do this but I would like a book(s) to give me the basics of repairing computers. Any input is appreciated, and have a nice day :)

Hi I suggest you a book about how computers really work: "But how does it know?" The Basic Principles of Computers for Everyone.
https://www.amazon.it/But-How-Know-Principles-Computers/dp/0615303765

Probably is not for fixing computers but if can read it you really will know how a computer work.

If you like you can see this video too:
View: https://youtu.be/MgjTo-KxTxE

Status
Not open for further replies.