[SOLVED] Boosting wi-fi signal

Partsman19

Honorable
May 21, 2017
Hello,
My internet is AT&T. I do not have fiber as it is not available in my area. I have a situation where the BGW210-700 modem is located in my office which is on the 2nd floor over my garage (FROG). I was on the phone yesterday with technical support at AT&T and was told that since I have 9 devices using wi-fi my signal will be slower. I would like to know if there is a way of boosting my wi-fi signal so my main TV, which is only 50 feet away in my downstairs living room with not buffer. Is there a router I could install as there is no way for me to move the AT&T modem I was supplied with?

Also, my wife's computer is on wi-fi on the 2nd floor of our house, around 100 feet away, and is using a Linksys RE6700 and is getting steady but slow internet.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Solution
My router from ATT does not have a coax connection. Can I still convert to MoCA? If so, what brand adapters would you recommend and how many would I need for 2 tvs? Thanks

Have you figured out where the source is?

It has nothing (or very little) to do with your router. You take ethernet from your router into a MoCa adapter which sends Coax 'out'. That runs through your house, out (as Coax) into another adapter that 'converts' back into ethernet.... ethernet out to device or WAP.

This assumes you can physically get an ethernet cable from your router to your Coax feed (with a MoCa adapter in between). Finding where the Coax 'ends' are is your first step here.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
My internet is AT&T. I do not have fiber as it is not available in my area. I have a situation where the BGW210-700 modem is located in my office which is on the 2nd floor over my garage (FROG). I was on the phone yesterday with technical support at AT&T and was told that since I have 9 devices using wi-fi my signal will be slower. I would like to know if there is a way of boosting my wi-fi signal so my main TV, which is only 50 feet away in my downstairs living room with not buffer. Is there a router I could install as there is no way for me to move the AT&T modem I was supplied with?

Also, my wife's computer is on wi-fi on the 2nd floor of our house, around 100 feet away, and is using a Linksys RE6700 and is getting steady but slow internet.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
"Only 50 ft" is a long way for WIFI through walls and floors.
Do you have any wired infrastructure? Ethernet or coax ?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a cable outlet right behind my TV which I am not utilizing as I am using Firestick for my TV service.
Do you know where the other end of that coax goes? Is there coax near your router?
If you can answer those two questions, you have the possibility of using MoCA (ethernet over coax) to create a wired network to the other end of the house. You could then add a WIFI source or use a wired connection for your TV.

Reactions: Barty1884

Partsman19

Honorable
May 21, 2017
I am not sure where the other end of the coax cable in my living room goes but I do have a coax jack in my office. I used to have DirecTV and the cable run from the dish outside through my attic and down the walls. Hope that helps.

kanewolf

Titan
I am not sure where the other end of the coax cable in my living room goes but I do have a coax jack in my office. I used to have DirecTV and the cable run from the dish outside through my attic and down the walls. Hope that helps.
It isn't me that needs to know. It is you. To use MoCA you have to convert from ethernet to coax at your router and then from coax to ethernet in another room. If the coax by your router is not connected to the coax in the living room then it won't work.

Partsman19

Honorable
May 21, 2017
I am using an Aris BGW210-700 router from AT&T. This router also includes my phone and does not connect with a coax cable but a phone cable. Does that change things. If so, how else can I boost my wifi signal?

kanewolf

Titan
I am using an Aris BGW210-700 router from AT&T. This router also includes my phone and does not connect with a coax cable but a phone cable. Does that change things. If so, how else can I boost my wifi signal?
Doesn't change anything. If you google "moca" you will see adapters that convert ethernet cable to coax. If you can understand how the coax in your house is run you may be able to create a high speed wired network in you house. A wired network is the best way to get to the other end.

Reactions: Barty1884

Partsman19

Honorable
May 21, 2017
My router from ATT does not have a coax connection. Can I still convert to MoCA? If so, what brand adapters would you recommend and how many would I need for 2 tvs? Thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Have you figured out where the source is?

It has nothing (or very little) to do with your router. You take ethernet from your router into a MoCa adapter which sends Coax 'out'. That runs through your house, out (as Coax) into another adapter that 'converts' back into ethernet.... ethernet out to device or WAP.

This assumes you can physically get an ethernet cable from your router to your Coax feed (with a MoCa adapter in between). Finding where the Coax 'ends' are is your first step here.

Solution
In some ways it is better that your router does not have coax. Although MoCa can share the coax with other things it sometime make things more complex.

What the moca box does is take a ethernet signal in, convert it to another protocol that can run over coax, the MoCA box on the far end takes this signal and converts it back to ethernet.

What you do is plug a cable into the LAN port of your router and plug that into the moca box. On the far end you plug your end device into the moca box also with a ethernet cable. To your device it appears as if you have a ethernet cable all the way to the router.

A very popular brand is gocoax that were the first to sell gigabit units to home users. They have since gotten a number of competitors. The gocoax boxes cost about $60 each.

You likely can use just 2....it all depends on how you want to hook up the tv. If they are close you could use a small switch behind the remote moca box and use all ethernet. You could also use a AP or router running as a AP that you plug into the remote moca box. You could then use wifi to get to the tv

Partsman19

Honorable
May 21, 2017
First, thanks for bearing with me as I am trying to understand. The coax cable box from DirecTV is mounted to the side of my garage where I work above the garage where the modem is located. Could I use the coax jack in my office or would I need to run a new coax to the modem and use the adapter to go from coax to ethernet.

I think I have figured out how to set up the MoCaAadapters as I have performed a Google search. My only and hopefully the last question is I know where the cable comes into my house in a box attached to my garage. Would I need to open the box and reconnect the loose cable to activate my coax jacks? As I said, I used to have DirecTV and then Spectrum TV for around a week and I am sure when they came out to the house to take their equipment back they disconnected my coax jacks. I want to make sure that is the route I need to take before purchasing the MoCA adaptors.

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited: