Question Boot and M.2 Drive recognition issues after attempting windows re-install

Feb 18, 2022
After attempting to reinstall windows on my M.2 drive, it would no longer show up in the bios boot menu.

After playing around with settings in the bios (changing sata mode, CSM, secure boot etc) my bios has consistant freezing issues, and I have to clear the cache every time to get into the BIOS. If I don't I just get a bright white LED on my mobo and no monitor.

Now when I try to reinstall windows from the bootable USB, windows, nvme config and CMD no longer recognizes the M.2 drive at all (however it does show in the intel extreme advanced section)

I now don't really know what to do. I figured out why my initial install didn't work (I had other drives connected) which are now disconnected.

As you can see from the pictures, when selecting AHCI mode - the M.2 drive now shows up in the nvme config... but now i can't boot from my USB.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View: https://imgur.com/a/qeeYRYB

Specs:
Corsair MP510 950gb M.2 NVME Drive
ASUS ROG Z390-E
Intel I7 8800K
RTX 2080
32GB DDR4 ram
1000W Gold PSU

Feb 18, 2022
I notice when I select "Intel RST" in the SATA Mode Selection, M.2 RAID support pops up, and then dissapears if I use AHCI. I'm not entirely sure which to use. I read previously It should be set to AHCI.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
First of all you probably want to load optimised bios settings or reset the bios. If you m.2 drive is installed in northbridge (top m.2) you will need a intel driver that you need to put on a USB stick. Then when you come to drive options In Windows setup you can install the driver to use the drive. Or just install the drive in a southbridge (bottom m.2 port).

Feb 18, 2022
First of all you probably want to load optimised bios settings or reset the bios. If you m.2 drive is installed in northbridge you will need a intel driver that you need to put on a USB stick. Then when you come to drive options In Windows setup you can install the driver to use the drive. Or just install the drive in a southbridge m.2 port.

Thanks for your response :)

I have already reset and loaded defaults... am I wrong in thinking Windows 10 includes drivers for M.2? When i first installed this drive I didn't need to download any drivers... I could certainly give it a shot... Do I just add the driver to the windows installation USB? The NVME ports are directly beside each other on the ROG STRIX Z-930, so I will assume it's in the southbridge.

Feb 18, 2022
Feb 18, 2022
Looking at the error message it looks like you are trying to use it in raid mode?

I'm pretty sure it should be sata mode.

In SATA mode I have 2 options - Intel RTS Raid or AHCI - in AHCI the drive shows up in the NVME config, but I get that or a similar blue screen when trying to boot into windows 10 installation USB.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
In SATA mode I have 2 options - Intel RTS Raid or AHCI - in AHCI the drive shows up in the NVME config, but I get that or a similar blue screen when trying to boot into windows 10 installation USB.

Ok m.2 config should be set to auto. It should automatically detect the drive and what mode it should be. also turn off intel rapid storage if its enabled. that driver error looks like a raid driver! which you shouldn't need unless you are running 2 drives in raid mode.

Why did you reinstall windows? have you been having problems with the drive?

Feb 18, 2022
Ok m.2 config should be set to auto. It should automatically detect the drive and what mode it should be. also turn off intel rapid storage if its enabled. that driver error looks like a raid driver! which you shouldn't need unless you are running 2 drives in raid mode.

Why did you reinstall windows? have you been having problems with the drive?

Unfortunately in my bios, there are no settings to change in the NVME config :/ it only allows me to see details of the drive. Bios is no longer set in IRS mode.

Things were just slowing down (due to my own computing hygiene no doubt)