Question Boot/bios problems, motherboards being weird.

Apr 28, 2020
I have an Asus Z97-P motherboard, it's working fine but at the moment I can't boot after making any changes in bios. In order to make it boot after attempting to make changes in bios I have to reset cmos and then if I exit the bios settings without saving anything, then my pc is able to boot without any problems. Needless to say, if I make any changes in bios settings it won't boot. It doesn't get to the bios screen at all, it just shows:

-

I've had this problem for a long while. Two months ago I decided to buy another motherboard (MSI e-33 was the only lga 1150 motherboard I could find so I bought it). It was a downgrade but it worked, no boot problems whatsoever. For a while. I tried to install ubuntu and then I started to see a similar thing happen with this motherboard as well but this motherboard also showed an error code: A2. The problem wasn't that serious with this motherboard, it booted eventually without me doing anything special like resetting cmos.

A few weeks later I decided to give my old motherboard another chance, I didn't like the h81 motherboard at all. Aaand my z97-p was like new. It booted, it saved the overclocking settings, virtualization etc. I was scared to change any boot settings, so fast boot and secure boot were both enabled and my pc worked perfectly... until I decided to change those settings for science and we're back to square one, as I said I can't make any changes to bios and if I do I'll have to reset cmos. So I'm no longer able to overclock or enable virtualization etc. I just can't fix it.

Any suggestions, or anyone who knows exactly what the problem is? I'm planning to buy an nvme ssd this month and boot using only that to see what happens.

Here are the specs:
2 ssds (no hdd)
Asus z97-p motherboard
i7 4790k

Things I tried:
Replacing the battery
Disconnecting ssds one by one
Creating new gpt partition tables for both disks.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020
I think I fixed it. Switching motherboards kinda proved that my Asus motherboard was okay which meant it had something to do with my disks. Using ubuntu and gparted I erased both disks, changed their partition tables to msdos and then clean installed ubuntu. Now I'm able to make and save changes in bios.
I still don't understand why this happens.