boot configuration data file missing some required information, I don't have a backup

katkoven

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I hooked up an mp3 player for the first time to my laptop to load some mp3's on it. I shut it down and when I came back later I got a blue screen with a message:

the boot configuration data is missing some required information

file \bcd
error code: 0x0000034

Then it goes on to say press escape to get into options, you'll need a disc or usb backup. I can press escape. I enabled the f12 boot manager. But that's where I get stuck. I can't figure out how to load from a usb.

My other problem is I don't have a backup of windows 8.1. I downloaded linux mint cinnamon, I put it on a usb. But out of the 3 options it gives, it won't let me change it or recognize the new OS on the usb. the options it gives me is

windows boot manager
network boot - ipv4
network boot- ivp6

It only let's me press enter, not change anything. The last two options when I press enter is a failed boot.

my specs are

acer aspire es1-711
2.16 GHz Pentium

If anyone can help, I'd truly appreciate it.

Solution
do you have a win 8 installer? what you need to do is boot off the installer, on 2nd page after languages, choose repair this PC, not install
this loads windows repair environment
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
We need to use the Bootrec.exe tool. Click on command prompt and type in the following commands, one after the other:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
Exit

Now go ahead and reboot your system. In some cases you may need to run some additional commands.
bootsect /nt60 SYS or bootsect /nt60 ALL

Windows Boot Manager is the right choice

you might need to use F2 instead of F12 as that gets you into the bios, its possible you need to add USB to boot order there instead...

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have a win 8 installer? what you need to do is boot off the installer, on 2nd page after languages, choose repair this PC, not install
this loads windows repair environment
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
We need to use the Bootrec.exe tool. Click on command prompt and type in the following commands, one after the other:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
Exit

Now go ahead and reboot your system. In some cases you may need to run some additional commands.
bootsect /nt60 SYS or bootsect /nt60 ALL

Windows Boot Manager is the right choice

you might need to use F2 instead of F12 as that gets you into the bios, its possible you need to add USB to boot order there instead of the F12 menu. I can't find anything exact. May need to turn secure boot off if it exists on boot tab

1. Shut down your Acer Aspire if it is running. Once the computer is off, press the power button to start it.

2. Press “F2” immediately while your computer is booting up and displaying the “Acer” logo.

3. Keep pressing “F2” until the BIOS Setup screen appears. Use your computer’s cursor keys – left, right, up and down -- to navigate the Setup screen’s menus. If you miss the Setup screen and the computer continues on to load Windows, you must shut down the computer and start again.
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/enter-setup-acer-aspire-53505.html

Solution