[SOLVED] Boot device and all USB ports don't work?

Sep 21, 2020
As the title states this morning I turned my pc on to start working. I am full time freelance so basically live on the pc and require it to earn so any quick help is really appreciated!

Immediately I was met with a boot error about no boot device, press any key. somehow boot order has gone out of wack maybe, easy enough fix. Restarted to try get to bios, no matter which key I hit it wouldn't get to bios.

The keyboard was still lit up so assumed it was still working. I unplugged it and plugged it into new ports. Now it won't light up at all. Tried it on the Mrs work laptop and it lights up to rule out the keyboard itself causing issue.

So now I'm stuck not been able to boot, can't get to bios.

I have re-seated everything, unplugged all HD/SSD's that are not the boot drive. Reset the CMOS.

I can feel the HD's and SSD's are powered and spinning. Case fans, cpu fan and gpu fans all spin up as they should. No post beeps as it immediately hits the "no boot device" screen before any post stuff comes up however that at least partially rules out the GPU since its still displaying.

Am I right in assuming it could be my Mobo has had enough? Any help is a appreciated!

Solution
Before this happened, did you experience any overheating or power issues (blackout, brownout, surge)?

I, too, am suspecting the motherboard. If you strip down to only memory, GPU, CPU, and PSU attached, can you access the BIOS (remove ALL storage devices)? Be sure to connect the GPU directly to your display, don't use the motherboard video ports.
Sep 21, 2020
Did you change anything, just prior to this problem happening? Were you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

The only thing I can think of is I enabled fast boot and disabled the Gigabyte splash screen. Yesterday it was used for work, VR and my media server, this morning no boot drive detected and Keyboard won't work no matter the USB ports.

I plugged in an external drive which did display a light so the ports seem to be receiving some kind of power however won't power the keyboard.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Before this happened, did you experience any overheating or power issues (blackout, brownout, surge)?

I, too, am suspecting the motherboard. If you strip down to only memory, GPU, CPU, and PSU attached, can you access the BIOS (remove ALL storage devices)? Be sure to connect the GPU directly to your display, don't use the motherboard video ports.

Solution
Sep 21, 2020

No issues with overheating or anything however USB devices did like to randomly disconnect and reconnect during the day. I put this down to too many USB devices potentially saturating the controller. That issue has persisted for a good few months thinking back on it.

Outside of that everything ran as expected. Could work, game and VR without issues.

Sadly I can only get to the "No boot device" error and can get no further due to the keyboard not working via any of the USB ports.

Sep 21, 2020
When trying the stripped down config I previously recommended, disconnect your front panel USB ports from the motherboard headers as well.

I tried that step this morning. Slowly removing each hard drive, my USB hub and such then testing as I went before reconnecting each component one by one.

That included removing each ram stick and the GPU. When removing ram it went to a blank black screen with no post sounds or the likes. Everything else lead to the same "no boot device" error and none of them helped the USB ports work to the point where the keyboard worked.

Sep 21, 2020
Without the GPU, nothing will work. Your system lacks an integrated GPU.

Were all storage and USB devices removed (not just one at a time)?

Yes indeed I tried it without storage devices and the USB panel and my USB hub plugged in. I also removed the fan controller I have. Same error, keyboard still won't power on to be able to interact my way to the bios.