[SOLVED] Boot disk data migration failure

Feb 2, 2019
I recently bought a new solid state drive to replace my current and aging hard drive. The issue is that every time I run any program to copy or migrate the boot OS partition to the other disc it comes back after 50 or 60% completion with a read error and will go no further.
Current boot drive: western digital black 1tb 7200 rpm hdd
desired new boot drive: kinston 250 gb ssd

Both have no errors and are 0% fragmented. My computer seems to believe both are healthy, but that is clearly not the case. If anyone has a solution that doesn't involve starting fresh and buying a new windows key I am more than open to it.

Solution
Ok so I managed to figure out a solution that does not require a fresh install if you do not want to lose data. Basically I used windows to run a surface test and bypass fouled sectors then used EaseUS to copy the partition to the new drive and bypass the flagged sectors then removed the source drive and reinstalled windows to replace the lost files from bad sectors. Crisis averted and problem solved. Thank you all for your help.

Lutfij

Titan
Why do you need to migrate the OS drive when you can install the OS from scratch and be done with all the headaches? Please don't fragment an SSD, it will kill it faster than you think. Also, backup all critical content onto a removable storage device and do create partitions on your SSD unless the OS makes them for system and reserved/recovery drives.

USAFRet

Titan

Not entirely sure of what you did, but it seems you've done something badly wrong with this 'migration' thing.

Assuming the system runs from the old drive, and assuming the actual consumed space on the old drive is below 200GB...redo this clone operation
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Feb 2, 2019
The issue is not that the migration or cloning was done improperly. The issue is that the disc itself is beyond repair. Cloning and migration of any of the local contents on the hdd is impossible. I have tried any program i can get my hands on and they all come back with a read error on the source disc. the source disk C drive is 137 gb of data for windows 10 os. The backup partition I had was on a 1tb external hdd which is lost. I have a new ssd which has not yet been used or partitioned and a new 4 tb hdd for general data. My issue is that without the C drive installed I cannot install new os information at all. As the system will no longer be able to boot.

Feb 2, 2019

See below response. ( sorry i am not entirely sure how to use this site but i am very desperate )

Feb 2, 2019

See above.

USAFRet

Titan

If the source drive has read errors, you're pretty much out of luck. There is no magic cloning tool that can fix that.

Options? Invent a time machine, go back before the drive started acting up, and create an Image from a fully working drive.
Failing creation of a time machine...a clean install on the new drive is your only option.

Feb 2, 2019

Feb 2, 2019
Ok so I managed to figure out a solution that does not require a fresh install if you do not want to lose data. Basically I used windows to run a surface test and bypass fouled sectors then used EaseUS to copy the partition to the new drive and bypass the flagged sectors then removed the source drive and reinstalled windows to replace the lost files from bad sectors. Crisis averted and problem solved. Thank you all for your help.

Solution