Boot Disk Failure

ukeandreas

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hi, I am not sure if this the correct category, but I need some help. I just built my first pc and when I go to boot it up it says boot disk failure. I have shortened the CMOS jumper and checked all the sata cables. It's not the OS because i tried on a different computer, however i can't check and see if it is the hard drive or dvd drive because the computer I have now is a laptop. I mean in BIOS it shows the hardrive and dvd drive. Any help would be much appreciated.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
if the os works on one system then you will have to reinstall it to get it working on the new one. most likely that is why it is showsing a boot disk failure....
It's like taking the engine from a car and putting it in another, not going to work.

also check that the bios is set to AHCI for sata these days and not IDE, if it is one and you install the OS then change to the other then again you will need a reinstall.

ukeandreas

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Sorry I am confused so I should reinstall the OS on my regular computer

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi ukeandreas!

From what I understand, you just assembled a new Pc.

What I don't understand is if the HDD you're using is also brand new or is an old one.

If it's brand new, it must be reinstalled with a new OS.

If it is an old one, then it must be reinstalled with a new OS, too. Backup your important data first.

ukeandreas

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

The HDD is new, what do you mean reinstall, the OS is new.