Boot disk not found...

PyroStar

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
This embarrasses me, I just bought a used laptop... I have build over 10 computers, and I have worked on 50+. I use to be obsessive about routinely wiping my computer every few months.
So this laptop is a HP, it had windows 8 Home edition on it. I wanted to wipe 8 off to install win 7 Ultimate. So I can upgrade to win 10 Pro. My hp laptops security kept blocking my every attempt. So I finally docked it and formatted it. It wont install from USB or from disk, I tried installing from a alternate computer and transferring the HHD to the laptop as a last resort.... all I get is the boot disk message. I fished around in bios, the boot menu... I am running a disk check now... I have never had so many issues with a PC.
not sure if this is something that is common with HPs. I will certainly never buy one again, before now things were simple you install a os on a hhd... idk if I am just frustrated or tired or forgetting something... the usb was lighting up and I tested in in another computer... and the disk drive works I heard it spinning...
I wonder if it is the ODD Driver? a wipe would have deleted it... but usually it will still read it... any way any help would be appreciated. The hard Disk is blank, it is pretty thoroughly wiped.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
There is no 10 Ultimate.

Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Mobile
Windows 10 Enterprise
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch)
Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise
Windows 10 Education
Windows 10 IoT Core (special versions for small footprint, low cost devices)

PyroStar

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014

I was so tired, your right... My brother is taking a Computer class, the laptop is for him. He told me that he needed Win 10 Pro or better. I assumed there was a ultimate. I tested Win 10 and decided I didn't care for it or that I would wait for the bugs to be identified before switching over. I had not done any research into it. All I know is if I would have upgraded from win 8 home I would have got Win 10 home. Do you think you know why my laptop wont take the OS?