Question Boot drive changed after BIOS update; Previous boot drive not showing in BIOS

Jul 29, 2019
I saw a BIOS update for my laptop yesterday and went ahead and flashed it. Once my computer rebooted, it was showing my Samsung evo 850 1TB SATA ssd drive instead of my Samsung EVO m.2 NVME 500gb ssd. I tried disconnecting the Sata drive but got an error message stating that there was no bootable drive connected or something like that. the 850 evo is the only option I am seeing in the BIOS for UFEI options. I have been using the NVME as my boot drive for over a year now, so I am lost as to what may have happened here or how to correct this. Laptop is an HP Omen gaming 17.3 that I use primarily for work and business (I have a newer laptop that I use for gaming now, although I occasionally game on this one from time to time).

The M.2 drive still shows as functional, but is now switched around as being the storage drive instead of the drive that loads windows. Any suggestions on what to do?

Jul 30, 2019
Hi,

Try and load your Windows DVD and attempt a System Repair, let me know if that works,

if not ill point you in the right direction for resetting the boot load order and partition configuration.

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Try and load your Windows DVD and attempt a System Repair, let me know if that works,

if not ill point you in the right direction for resetting the boot load order and partition configuration.

UPDATE:
I went into the BIOS and ran some test, and in that section of the BIOS, I could see that it was recognizing the existence of both drives in spite of not giving me an option to choose between them for the boot order under UEFI options. I decided to turn on the legacy options in BIOS just to see if that might do anything, and my laptop booted to the M.2 drive.

I decided to restart my computer to make sure the issue was resolved, and my laptop booted to the SATA drive. After restarting a few times, the laptop seems to go back and forth between the two drives.

A day or two ago, I restarted my laptop for an app update, and my laptop stopped booting to the M.2 drive. I found a submenu in my BIOS THAT led me through steps to boot to the M.2 drive under EFI options.

My laptop is now back to alternating between, the SATA and the M.2, and I currently have it booted from the M.2, but now need to figure out how to stop it from booting to the SATA.

The SATA is my original drive that had windows 10 installed. The M.2 was cloned from the SATA over a year ago ( through EASEUS) and has had no problems up to this point, and has been my consistent boot drive until all of this started. Still not sure what happened, or why I can now boot from the M.2 which was previously not even being recognized.

Any thoughts on how to keep the M.2 drive as the primary drive? I am not sure if it is now listed in the BIOS, as I've been afraid that going back in might undo whatever is causing it to load currently.

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE: there was a Windows update that required resetting rebooting the computer multiple times during the update, and because my computer boots back and forth between both of my SSDs, the update could not install. I decided it was time to go back into BIOS and take a look, and both drives appear under Legacy Boot, but only the SATA appears under UEFI boot options.

I do not have a Windows install disk, as I'm using the original software that was pre-installed on my system when I bought it. I cloned my original system with EASEUS for the M.2 SSD. I have also been using the M.2 for over a year with no issues/ computer only booting from the M.2, so I would like to avoid reformattingvthe drive and losing all my info. unless absolutely necessary. Also, I am not extremely tech savvy, so I'm somewhat nervous about the whole thing since this issue seem to come after a BIOS update. Please help!

TRENDING THREADS