[SOLVED] Boot drive error

Oct 17, 2020
So I bought a new ssd (Kingston Q500 240GB) today and I custom installed windows 10 on it. But when I tried to make it boot drive from bios, I noticed my bios didn't detect the ssd. I was able to boot in ssd via windows boot manager but not through bios. Then I connected the ssd SATA cable to slot 0 on motherboard and my HDD to slot 1. Now my bios is detecting the SSD(isn't detecting HDD now) and I can select it as a boot drive but when I do so, I get "Reboot and select proper boot device. Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" error. Again it boots in SSD via windows boot manager smoothly, but this is a long process and defeats the purpose of SSD.
Can you guys suggest any fix?

Solution
When you installed the OS on the SSD, was the HDD also still connected?
If so, redo this install.

With ONLY the SSD connected.

And Windows Boot Manager is what you want in the BIOS boot order.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution
Oct 17, 2020

Yes the HDD was connected when I installed OS in SSD. So shall I keep the boot sequence to windows boot manager throughout? And change it to ssd when I connect my HDD after installing windows?

Oct 17, 2020
Read that above link.

When the install is complete on the SSD, Windows Boot Manager is what should be in the BIOS.
I'm sorry I cannot find any info about post installation phase in the article. Once I've installed windows successful I would want to boot my pc from SSD everytime, shouldn't I be selecting ssd as boot option #1 for that?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm sorry I cannot find any info about post installation phase in the article. Once I've installed windows successful I would want to boot my pc from SSD everytime, shouldn't I be selecting ssd as boot option #1 for that?
With UEFI, Windows Boot Manager IS the SSD.

Install the OS on the SSD.
After, go into the BIOS and see what options you see.
Windows Boot Manager needs to be first.

Reactions: itmesoham