[SOLVED] Boot drive LED is lit on motherboard after sucessful POST. No bios screen. Dead mobo?

brendanbennett

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
Recently tried booting up my almost 8 year old system after a month and after hearing a normal POST beep my Asus Rampage IV formula mobo shows a boot drive error LED accompanied with 1 long beep and 4 short beeps - according to the mobo manual indicating a hardware error.

I've tried swapping sata ports on the motherboard and trying a usb boot drive but the same thing happens. I've tried with a single stick of ram and still the same.

Given the fact that my ssd is less than 1 year old I think it could be my motherboard or CPU which are both almost 8 years old. Is there any way this could be the case since it seems to post okay?

Solution
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU in your build(is it 8 years old?).

You will need to breadboard the system and work with bare minimum. In fact with only the CPU(provided you have an iGPU on said CPU), motherboard, one stick of ram and the PSU, you should be able to get to BIOS screen and then tinker with things. You could also try resetting the CMOS by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes before replacing it.

You could also try working with a known working SSD on another SATA port native to the chipset...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You will need to breadboard the system and work with bare minimum. In fact with only the CPU(provided you have an iGPU on said CPU), motherboard, one stick of ram and the PSU, you should be able to get to BIOS screen and then tinker with things. You could also try resetting the CMOS by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes before replacing it.

You could also try working with a known working SSD on another SATA port native to the chipset. Inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins. It'd be a good idea to isnpect every square inch of the motherboard while breadboarding to see if there are any burn marks.

Solution

brendanbennett

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You could also try working with a known working SSD on another SATA port native to the chipset. Inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins. It'd be a good idea to isnpect every square inch of the motherboard while breadboarding to see if there are any burn marks.
Turns out the Boot drive light was a red herring and I just needed to plug both of my monitors. Only one of my monitors was plugged in with displayport, it was fixed and showed the bios screen on the second monitor when I plugged it in with hdmi.

Here's for 8 more years,
Thanks for the help!