Boot drive needs defragging everyday!

Hey!

The boot partition of this Seagate 7200 40gig HD needs to be defragged
nearly every day...the other two partitions (named "programs" and
"games") don't need to be defragged very often at all.

I'm running Win98SE with this HW:

Athlon 2400 (not OC'ed)
512mb PC2100
Audigy 2
Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb

None of the above HW is being OC'ed.

So, what might be giong on? The HD is only 7 months old!

Oh, and it is running at ATA100 speed (since installing an ATA100
cable a few months ago).

Faustus

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002

Faustus wrote:

> Hey!
>
> The boot partition of this Seagate 7200 40gig HD needs to be defragged
> nearly every day...

May I ask why you think so?

jad

windows 98 has that analyze feature/...as stupid as it was...........
so most likely that is what he is using to determine the need..... OP
if your playing games on your system, the temp directories that come
and go could trigger 98's need for defrag....games AWA any software
that creates scratch areas or temp directories.although you could
follow its recommendation, there really isn't any 'need' to defrag
that often. set up a separate partition for your swap and temp
directories and just defrag that partition.

JAD wrote:

> windows 98 has that analyze feature/...as stupid as it was...........
> so most likely that is what he is using to determine the need.....

FWIW, I asked *him* what made *him* think that it needs defragging. We
can guess all day and night. I can guess as well as you can. I'd
rather just hear his answer.

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> Faustus wrote:
>>
>> Hey!
>>
>> The boot partition of this Seagate 7200 40gig HD needs to be defragged
>> nearly every day...
>
> May I ask why you think so?

Maybe he runs defrag >analyse and it says the drive requires defraging?

Bill Larcombe wrote:

> "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> > Faustus wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey!
> >>
> >> The boot partition of this Seagate 7200 40gig HD needs to be defragged
> >> nearly every day...
> >
> > May I ask why you think so?
>
> Maybe he runs defrag >analyse and it says the drive requires defraging?

I asked *him* why *he* thinks so.

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:36:32 -0400, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>Faustus wrote:
>>
>> Hey!
>>
>> The boot partition of this Seagate 7200 40gig HD needs to be
defragged
>> nearly every day...
>
>May I ask why you think so?

Hey!

I use Diskkeeper Lite (free version) that shows me how badly the
partition has become fragmented.

To answer another question you might have, the "virtual memory" is set
up to use the D partition (programs).

Faustus

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002

The problem may be Diskkeeper, not the hardrive. I wanted a better
defrag utility about a year ago and did a Google search on Diskkeeper. I
came across many negative opinions on Diskkeeper. One of the common
complaints was that it gave exaggerated reports on fragmentation. I
didn't put it on my machine, so I can't speak from personal experience.

Faustus wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:36:32 -0400, ToolPackinMama
> <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:
>

>>Faustus wrote:
>>
>>>Hey!
>>>
>>>The boot partition of this Seagate 7200 40gig HD needs to be
>
> defragged
>
>>>nearly every day...
>>
>>May I ask why you think so?
>

> Hey!
>
> I use Diskkeeper Lite (free version) that shows me how badly the
> partition has become fragmented.
>
> To answer another question you might have, the "virtual memory" is set
> up to use the D partition (programs).
>
> Faustus
>

> Dave King -- Faustus
> HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
> ICQ : 329002

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Another problem which can cause this is in windows defrag having the box
checked that says "rearrange files so my programs start faster". You should
uncheck this option and then defrag afterwards and you probably won't need to
defrag again for a while.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:06:04 GMT, Biff <Biff@spamhaters.invalid> wrote:

>The problem may be Diskkeeper, not the hardrive. I wanted a better
>defrag utility about a year ago and did a Google search on Diskkeeper. I
>came across many negative opinions on Diskkeeper. One of the common
>complaints was that it gave exaggerated reports on fragmentation. I
>didn't put it on my machine, so I can't speak from personal experience.
>

>Faustus wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:36:32 -0400, ToolPackinMama
>> <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>> defragged

>>>May I ask why you think so?
>>

>> Hey!
>>
>> I use Diskkeeper Lite (free version) that shows me how badly the
>> partition has become fragmented.
>>
>> To answer another question you might have, the "virtual memory" is set
>> up to use the D partition (programs).
>>
>> Faustus
>>

>> Dave King -- Faustus
>> HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
>> ICQ : 329002

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 23:10:26 GMT, Faustus
<davidkinghsdSPAMAWAY@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Hey!
>
>The boot partition of this Seagate 7200 40gig HD needs to be
defragged
>nearly every day...the other two partitions (named "programs" and
>"games") don't need to be defragged very often at all.
>
>I'm running Win98SE with this HW:
>
>Athlon 2400 (not OC'ed)
>512mb PC2100
>Audigy 2
>Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb
>
>None of the above HW is being OC'ed.
>
>So, what might be giong on? The HD is only 7 months old!
>
>Oh, and it is running at ATA100 speed (since installing an ATA100
>cable a few months ago).
>
>Faustus
>

>Dave King -- Faustus
>HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
>ICQ : 329002

Hey!

I've installed XP Pro today and hopefully my Audigy2 and Firefox (the
two progs that seem to be fragging my C parition) will behae better
under XP than with Win98SE...heh

Faustus

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002

What makes you think your disk needs defragged every day? Some fragmentation
is inevitable and normal.