Question Boot drive not recognized after changing the CPU ?

Dec 29, 2022
I'm running an ASUS Prime B560-Plus board with an i5 11400F processor, 48GB DDR4 ram, 2TB M.2 NVMe boot drive and a dedicated GPU. I just tried to upgrade to an i9-10900K processor but the BIOS no longer sees the M.2 boot drive. I reset CMOS. I checked the BIOS compatibility and it should have been fine but updated to the newest version anyway. I read another thread here that recommended booting in legacy and tried that. Nothing worked. I put the i5 back in and now it boots and loads windows but randomly crashes. I had no issues before attempting to upgrade and I checked closely for any bent pins when swapping CPUs. Help?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022
If you tried with latest BIOS then try with older version.
I dont think its hardware issue.
Check nvme - is it properly attached?
I'm not sure how to get an older version of the BIOS, the only one available from ASUS is the newest.
I don't think it's a hardware issue either, everything worked fine before.
I know the NVMe is seated properly because it works when I switch back to the i5, I did double check just to be sure.

Dec 29, 2022
You are not running a Asus prime b650 plus because that's an Am5 mobo b660 is socket lga 1700 so it wasn't a typo so is this real 10th/11th gen is socket lga 1200 which is an asus prime z490 or are you only checking to see if we're awake and looking alive? is it a Prime A or Prime P? How could you possibly not see what bios you're downloading for what board?

see if the cooler is over tight or uneven and try to attach it evenly so undo it again and go diagonals quarter a turn once it starts to tighten until it's firm. Well the problem started after when you undid the cooler and switched the cpu so it stands to reason the torque of the heatsink screws is one factor that changed.

Go back to a previous bios? There are no previous bioses available for download. How could you have possibly downloaded a z490 prime bios if you don't know your mobo is a z490? The mind boggles.

Well cautious folk back up their bios before flashing a new one. Guess you didn't. Maybe you could ask other prime users for an original bios. In an alternate reality.

You're sure there's no bent pins? Can you photograph the socket and post an img - use imgur or any image host & link

You have 48gb of Memory what's each Dimm 2x 8 gb and 2x16gb so you mixed two dimm kits so try removing one or the other. Sometimes this configuration may work, mixing two kits is not compliant with the memory support list maybe flashing the bios actually messed up your memory compatibility? Try removing the 2 8gb modules.

Maybe you nudged the Dimms in the process of switching the cpu so reseat them. Sometimes different kits can work sometimes not you say it worked before, I wonder if it was just a crash waiting to happen.

Why it sees the boot drive with 11400f and not the 10900k, never heard anything like it. but maybe I haven't heard much.
The only option there maybe is you have 2 m.2 ports and the drive in the 2nd rather than the 1st m2 port. How could it be anything else? If the two cpus have different circuits for nvme maybe the cpu sees it on one port but not the other. (only speculating). But switching the m.2 drive to another port is the only possible thing you could change.

Quartermaster, out.
It was a typo, I am running a Prime B560 plus which is socketed with LGA 1200.

The installation instructions you outlined for the cooler is the procedure I've always followed but I did check it to rule it out.

Not running a z490 board, not sure why you assumed that.

No pins are bent. I check each time I pull the CPU, looking from multiple angles with multiple light sources.

The RAM has never been an issue, both sets are 3600Mhz and I've been running it for about a year. I did pull a set to be sure, made no difference.

Changing the M.2 port also made no difference.