Boot Drive not recognized? HELP PLEASE!!!

nbehan

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
So, while playing Overwatch yesterday, my system crashed (Screen Froze, sound cut out, unresponsive). This has happened before (although sometimes in just plays a loud continuous sound), and its pretty much always an Nvidia driver crash during gameplay.
BTW, these are my specs:
i7 6700k (Overclocked to 4.5GhZ at the time of the crash, but now set back to stock speed).
Asus z170 Deluxe
4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz DDR4 RAM
EVGA Superclocked GEFORCE GTX 970
1x Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD (This is my boot drive with most of my data).
2x Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue Drives (These are pretty much 100% clean, never really been used).
I restarted the computer as normal, and it came to the standard screen, Asus logo in the middle, and the line "please press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI BIOS setting." However, there wasn't the spinning dot wheel in between these two things indicating that it is loading. I restarted and got the same thing. I then waited and it brought me to the screen saying: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media into selected boot device and press a key." I have rebooted many times with no change. I entered the Bios to see if my SSD was my boot drive, and it was, (it was also in Sata S3, even though it is plugged into the Sata port that says OS Drive on my Mobo). I am wondering what I am doing wrong, Any mistakes I could have made, or where is the problem. I thought the SSD was broken, but it is showing up. It could also be the motherboard because it takes a long time to get to the "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media into selected boot device and press a key" screen, and it also takes forever to enter the BIOS after pressing F2 or DEL. Also if I press CNTRL ALT DEL while still on the normal ASUS screen, it almost acts as if i pressed reboot.

This is a repost as my previous post got no response and I am DESPERATE PLEASE

Solution
You are second person today telling me there are no start up options booting off the USB .. they must only exist if you go into menu from windows, I was not aware of that detail.

Here are some suggestions, you already know it shows in bios so try the windows ones: http://www.deskdecode.com/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-explained/ stop before reinstalling win 10 though.

If anything on drive you want to save, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Colif

Win 11 Master
download the Win 10 media creation tool and use it to make a Win 10 installer on USB or DVD - its just a boot disc for now

IN the bios boot order, did it have something like Windows Boot Manager? You could try setting that to 1st and see if it boots right

if it doesn't set USB as first, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this may fix problem - will ask for logon info

if that didn't help, boot from installer again, choose repair again
choose troubleshoot/advanced
choose start up options
choose safe mode - there might be 3, choose one
pc will reboot into safe mode... you don't have to do anything, just booting into safe mode can fix this. restart pc and see if it boots.

the ctrl alt del behaviour is normal if it can't see a boot disc

nbehan

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

I have put in the USB, but it still doesn't recognize it. How would i boot from installer?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are second person today telling me there are no start up options booting off the USB .. they must only exist if you go into menu from windows, I was not aware of that detail.

Here are some suggestions, you already know it shows in bios so try the windows ones: http://www.deskdecode.com/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-explained/ stop before reinstalling win 10 though.

If anything on drive you want to save, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Solution