[SOLVED] boot drive question

cocokid50036

Commendable
Apr 6, 2018
im looking at getting a NVMe drive for my am3+ fx 9590 (yeah yeah its the old nuclear reactor) but ill be upgrading to the 3600 on a x570, but money is getting tight for a few more weeks and have the money for a 1tb nvme drive. im using the ASRock 970A-G/3.1 ( https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970A-G3.1/ ) motherboard. and i know that some motherboards you cant use the nvme as a boot drive and was wondering if thats a thing with this motherboard. i remember i found it somewhere of what it said about boot drives and such but idr what it said and i cannot seem to find it again so any help/advice would be appreciated :) thanks a lot

Solution
If you're soon to be upgrading to the 3600/x570, and want to get the NVMe drive now....do not bother with trying to make it the boot drive in the current fx-9590/970A system.
At most, just install it as a secondary.

You'd just have to redo it with the new system anyway.

Again...if you must have just have that shiny new NVMe now, just leave it as a secondary.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As from the motherboard specification:
- 1 x M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3, supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen2 x4 (20 Gb/s)*

*If PCIE4 is occupied, M2_1 will be disabled.
The M.2 socket does not support SATA M.2 SSDs.

Basically, you can ONLY use PCIe (NVMe) M.2 Gen2 drives for this.

USAFRet

Titan
If you're soon to be upgrading to the 3600/x570, and want to get the NVMe drive now....do not bother with trying to make it the boot drive in the current fx-9590/970A system.
At most, just install it as a secondary.

You'd just have to redo it with the new system anyway.

Again...if you must have just have that shiny new NVMe now, just leave it as a secondary.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution