Question Boot drive ssd invisible in bios, visible via cmd; and other box shows it in bios and boots to it

barrelrider

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
I was testing the ability of a ups to shut down a windows server 2012 r2 box in a timely manner, and apparently the UPS's software's estimated runtime was way way off. As a result it powered down before the OS was fully shut down. It would not boot afterwards. I figured the hdd had been corrupted so I restored from image using Veeam Agent, and that reported success. However it still would not boot.
Eventually I realized that the ssd boot drive was no longer listed in the bios. The board is an ASROCK B75M-DGS; bios is b75M-DGS p1.00. This ssd and board have been paired for several years. The bios lists only the network boot and the storage hdd, which is not bootable, and any usb drives I've inserted.
  • If I remove the ssd and put it into another chassis, it boots normally
  • If I boot to cmd via Windows Repair I can see the ssd and all of it's files
  • I've swapped the power and usb cables to the ssd and nothing changed
  • I've changed the ssd port that the ssd is plugged in to and nothing changed
  • If I install a different bootable ssd that has windows installed on it, it is also not visible in the bios
I've never seen an instance like this were it's suddenly become impossible to list any ssd in the bios. I wonder if the bios somehow got bent out of shape and lost the ability to see components. It might be worth reinstallilng the bios, but I'd appreciate any input before I try that.

barrelrider

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Right, I tend to leave those alone unless I need to deal with something. But I'll take care of them.
It's possible the update will fix the issue. Do you think the existing bios is damaged? I've never see that before, but naturally limited experience.

barrelrider

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
All I can think of now is that the sata subsystem on the board is fried. I'd be great if someone with broader exposure ventured a guess, but otherwise it seems like it's time for a new board.

barrelrider

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Having a great conversation with myself here.
A remaining puzzle is that while no sata ssd is currently visible to the bios, the original ssd clearly was at the time of the restore, else the restore would have had nothing to write to. If the power outage dinged the sata subsystem, which is my current idea, how could it have supported the restore to the sata ssd, which was the first thing I tried to recover?
IOW the progression was, restored successfully to the ssd with veeam agent, but after that the sata ssd, and all other sata ssds, are not listed in the bios to be booted from. The sata 4 tb storage hdd (not ssd) is visible in the bios. That seems very odd.

Last edited: