Boot Drive/Storage drive - help

kjriot

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hello,
so i tried this first off "I made a decision to load just Win 7 to the SSD C: drive, and all other program files and data to the G: drive The only obstacle was when loading some programs - they want to automatically install to the C: drive. A Google search found the solution. Had to make a registry edit, so that the G: drive is now the default. I was a bit nervous changing the registry (always am!), but it works like a treat.
Instructions are
1/ Open the Registry Editor by selecting Start > Run > Regedit.
2/ Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.
3/ In the right pane, double-click ProgramFilesDir and change the path in the String Editor to the drive and folder you want (i.e. H:\Program Files). You must also modify the entry for ProgramFilesPath. If your path is H:\ like mine is, the path would be H:\Program Files
4/ Exit the Registry Editor and restart your computer. My understanding is that some programs still require installation in the C:\Program Files folder, but I haven't found any yet.

My PC flies now - it is FANTASTIC! So I recommend giving the SSD approach a go. "

in order to make my C drive just the boot drive and most important stuff, and make my SSHD 750gb my storage hdd, which is labeled drive E:. optical drive as d:. Well this didnt work, also now i can not open "Regedit" for some reason keeps saying it cannot find it.

So if anyone could help me solve that and maybe get this going in the most lamens terms possible, i am computer illiterate, i bought out my league. i would be greatly appriciated.

Specs:
i7-2600k (over-clocked to 4.4Ghz)
SLI GTX 580 3gb (2)
ASus Maximus IV Extreme Z
16GB (2x4gb) x2 1600 Mhz Gskill ram

Edit: i shud also mention that in my BIOS it is set up to ACHP or w/e not raid or anything. and for my mobo both SSHD and SSD are plugged into the 6GB Intel controllers, and the front pannel/Optical drive are in the 6GB Marvel controllers

kjriot

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
i got the regedit issue solved just used a 3rd party system registry changer to undo what i did. from what a friend tells me theres no way i can set my 750gb as main downloaded to hdd., that way windows 7 works is it will use up my SSD in c: first then switch to the SSHD 750gb, when ssd is full

Nonsense.
Whatever programs you install, can be installed directly to the D Drive say your Data HDD.
What you need to do is instead of the usual installation walk thru , like people mostly click next next next. You need to read what is written during the install for a change, and, we've been doing it since the Word Processor came out, is , when it shows you where to install the program/s, all you have to do is browse to the D drive Program Files folder which you would have created.
Some programmers are lazy and usually if you change the default installation folder , they don't have the new folder mentioned in the install address, so all you need to do at that time would be to type in the name of the program that is being installed as the name of the new folder where it is to be installed under D: / Program Files/xxxxx
That way you save overwriting other common files in the Programs directory.

kjriot

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
my optical drive became drive d im told thats one reason why im having it this way..it is allowing me to manually download to SSHD drive e: with some things tho

Not interested in what drive letters are being used. It's the head that needs to be used..... you can't possibly think of installing programs on an optical drive can you??
Ever heard of Administrator Tools.... where you can change the Drive letters assigned by Bill Gates personally to every drive in your Home PC?
And what the hell is SSHD? There are SSDs, ODDs & HDDs in the normal world.
And things don't just become other things in a PC unless you tell them to.

kjriot

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

SSHD = Solid State Hybrid Drive, Seagate Mometus XT 750 GB SSHD to be exact.

and no, im computer illiterate, i bought out of my league, but doesnt mean you have to be so condacending(spelling error)

Just call the damn thing a HDD..... since it doesn't need any sort of different handling.
You may be all the good things you say you are but buying hardware out of ones league is the consumers choice, whereas using windows for the past ages is something everyone seems to have done. So the basics are never looked at or even talked about like drive letters , especially, since the moment you google for drive letters you'll get a zillion one line answers about them.
You say you are computer illiterate, all of us are actually, so why did you mess around with the registry? even after knowing that's one of the most deceptive things that run the rig.

What you want to do, is very simple and not a problem at all since millions of rigs have at some point or the other filled their OS drives up to the brim and have needed another to continue using the rig.

It's futile to problem solve with different opinions. Your friend tells you , Windows will not use the second drive until the first one is full. He is Computer Illiterate, you asked the question, since you wanted to learn so I can't blame you, but please don't post his doubts to us.

You are being shown the way to do what you want with that rig of yours, so follow the process and if it doesn't work we'll think of an alternative, which I doubt we'll ever need.