[SOLVED] Boot drives missing after installing M.2

Dec 3, 2021
I've installed a new M.2 drive into my PC (Samsung EVO 980) to be used for game storage.

I have a separate SSD as my boot drive, another SSD as game storage, and a 1 TB HDD for game storage.

However, when I install the M.2, it says there is no bootable disk. Entering the BIOS shows that the Boot SSD and other storage SSD aren't available.

Why is this the case and how do I get this working?

Solution
Look in the manual regarding port configuration.

See if there is a reference to the issue I mentioned. It's very common, but should only disable 1 specific port.

Or just try connecting your boot drive (presumably a SATA drive) to some other SATA port and see if the problem disappears.

Or you may have another M2 port that does NOT disable a SATA port.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are you dealing with a laptop or a desktop? If a laptop, please mention the make and model and it's SKU of the unit. If it's a system, please mention the specs to the build. If it's a prebuilt, mention the SKU to said prebuilt. On both counts, can you check and see what BIOS version you're on? You can use CPU-Z to allow you to see what BIOS version you're on(under Mainboard's tab).

Hmmmm.......

On many boards, when you install an M2 drive in a specific port, you give up functionality on one of your SATA ports.

It may be that your M2 drive has disabled the port to which your boot drive is attached.

Just a first guess pending your response.

See if there is a reference to the issue I mentioned. It's very common, but should only disable 1 specific port.

Or just try connecting your boot drive (presumably a SATA drive) to some other SATA port and see if the problem disappears.

Solution
Dec 3, 2021

I think you're on to something. I'm looking at my manual and it references that due to the limited Lanes of the chipset that I'll lose data ports if that's connected. That's a shame. Maybe I can switch some things around.

And I just redid my wire management...

Dec 3, 2021
I think you're on to something. I'm looking at my manual and it references that due to the limited Lanes of the chipset that I'll lose data ports if that's connected. That's a shame. Maybe I can switch some things around.

And I just redid my wire management...

It's my ASATA ports. They become inactive when the M.2 is installed, and those are the two ports that my boot and secondary SSD are installed in. Good advice, I think I've got it from here!