Boot drops to initramfs when RAID card attached.

liamf91

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Hello,

I have recently acquired a dell perc h310. I've managed to create a RAID10 virtual disk on the card. The card is connected to a Gigabyte Z87-HD3 motherboard. When the card is attached ubuntu server doesn't boot correctly and boots into initramfs. The moment I remove the card the system boots fine. The boot drive is a samsung 840 evo which is connected to the motherboard.

Is this something anyone has seen before or has an idea of what this could be?

McHenryB

Admirable
I would imagine this is a question of the device names that the system gives the drives. You may be able to use Grub to manually boot to the correct device (or at least to see what devices are available). Otherwise, you could try installing Ubuntu with all devices attached.

liamf91

Reputable
May 18, 2015
So I've just reinstalled the operating system, this time using debian jessie. The installation goes fine and when im prompted to select the disk I want to use to install the operating system I can see my 6TB array. Everything is ok until I finish the installation and reboot. At this point the kernel gets to the messages

megasas: INIT adapter done
megaraid_sas 0000:01:00.0: command timedoutfrom megasas_get_seq_num

This then drops back into busybox (initramfs) and I seem to be back at stage one.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on what the issue is here.

thanks