[SOLVED] Boot fails after Successful Bios Update - ASUS N56JN

Feb 17, 2020
Hi,

I own this old model N56JN, I found that ASUS released a newer BIOS (205) for this model and I flashed it "successfully" using EZFlash.
I followed exactly their procedure -except - I placed the BIOS image on my Hard drive instead of USB.

The bios flashing was successful, and I can see the new version written in my bios, however my problem now is I cannot BOOT from my Hard drive at all! Simply, the boot menu is empty, but it appears as SATA device (successfully recognized by BIOS)

I managed to open the laptop with a Ubunto USB successfully (it showed in the boot menu), and I can see my data on my Hard drive (fully preserved),

My Question now is how to restore the Hard Drive Option to the boot menu?

Givens:
  • All files in C:\Windows\Boot\ are present, and they are the same as another working PC.
  • Hard disk is not damaged and I can use it from Ubuntu, and it shows up in the BIOS SATA devices (in AHCI or IDE).
  • I don't see the CD-ROM (or any other device) either in the boot menu (I didn't try inserting a CD/DVD in it)
  • I tried CMOS battery reset and it didn't help.
Update:
  • I tried booting in CSM mode, and I can now boot from the hard drive, as soon as windows is loaded, It crashes at: "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE"
Update 2:
  • Removed Ubuntu USB stick completely, and switched SATA back to AHCI mode and got windows working FINALLY !
So now, should I stay forever in CSM mode?
I feel this is a work around and not a solution

Please help! and Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
The USB is an issue if you wish to dual boot Ubuntu.

Running CSM mode has nothing to do with being insecure, it stands for Compatibility Support Module. What this means is what is commonly called the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), has been replaced by a new Input/Output System called UEFI. The CSM mode is similar to Windows compatibility mode, where the Legacy BIOS operates within UEFI, while simultaneously running in UEFI if applicable. It appears UEFI is default enabled in the BIOS and since your hdd partitioning is probably not GPT (a requirement for UEFI), it will not function in UEFI mode.

If you want to run UEFI than checkout this link. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10
How was the BIOS setup before? I checked the BIOS setup info with your laptop, and see some of the setup features you are discussing did not exist in the old version. The only choice seemed to be to enable (default)/ disable UEFI boot. Did the upgrade add new features? Many tiem a BIOS upgrade will revert the BIOS to a default state, which may not support your system setup.

You may have to setup your laptop to dual boot again. What is the boot order now; is USB is first put it behind your hdd. I would boot into Windows without, then plug in the Ubuntu USB. The run msconfig and see if the USB shows up as a boot drive. If not try restarting the laptop (not shutdown and then boot) and see if it will boot to Windows from a restart.

BTW, only inserting your Ubuntu USB when needed is standard for many users.

Feb 17, 2020
Thanks for your reply,

The USB is not the main issue.
I can't remember what was the BIOS default setting. So you mean I'll have to stick with CSM mode (unsecure legacy mode)?

The USB is an issue if you wish to dual boot Ubuntu.

Running CSM mode has nothing to do with being insecure, it stands for Compatibility Support Module. What this means is what is commonly called the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), has been replaced by a new Input/Output System called UEFI. The CSM mode is similar to Windows compatibility mode, where the Legacy BIOS operates within UEFI, while simultaneously running in UEFI if applicable. It appears UEFI is default enabled in the BIOS and since your hdd partitioning is probably not GPT (a requirement for UEFI), it will not function in UEFI mode.

If you want to run UEFI than checkout this link. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

Reactions: ahmed_ms
Solution