Question Boot Failure After Bios Update on Gigabyte X670 Elite AX ?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
So I had bios 11d on my system with no issues. I saw Gigabyte had a new Bios update 20a, so I installed that. Loading it in had no issues, but once it was loaded, the computer won't boot. I cleared the CMOS a few times to make sure, but under no circumstances will my system go to the boot screen. Last time I left it for a couple hours with still nothing, but this time I couldn't get the system to power down with the case power button. I had to throw the psu switch in the back. Anyone else having issues with 20a?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you get into bios?

check if its set to CSM or UEFI boot. resetting BIOS/Updating it will reset settings.

also, updating a BIOS just because a new one exists... isn't a good enough reason really. It can be dangerous to update them if you had no problems before as it can introduce them. That and updating BIOS can end badly... hopefully this is okay. I only update if I have a problem or need the update to install a CPU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I didn't have access to the exact bios file I had previously, so I downloaded an older version of the bios on my cell phone. Transfered the file to a USB stick plugged into the phone. Then took the USB stick and plugged it into an older non internet computer, and renamed the exact bios file to GIGABYTE.bin . Went through the Q Flash Plus procedure (twice) and each time the light stops flashing, but the computer stays on. First time I did it, I had to power off the computer after 20 minutes. When I restarted the computer, it was on but still no boot screen after 10 minutes. Flashed the CMOS as well to be safe. I don't understand why a simple bios update has become so complicated and unresponsive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its anything like the X570, you turn PC off once light stops flashing, it doesn't do it itself.

Try removing some of the ram sticks, 4 x 32 is going to take a while to train. Once we know it works you can re add extra ram. Updating bios resets the memory settings, it will have to retrain the system for the sticks at some stage. That could be part of the delay.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you get F11 now?

Note under that bios - * Higher memory speeds may cause longer memory training time on the first boot.

F20 only adds APU support for the as yet unreleased 8000 series.

I have asked if other people have any ideas.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I'll check it again. I was wondering if 20a may be a bios that won't allow you to revert to an older bios? I loaded 11, and nothing. So I loaded 10 on my second Q Flash Plus attempt.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
So I turned off the PC. Had it restart normally, and it booted. But for some reason the PC wanted me to reset my 4 digit pin to log into Windows. So I did that. All was fine, so I downloaded 11 again and flashed that. Its fine too. So I currently has revision 11 on my PC. Before I started all this, I had 11d. Its working fine now, so something about 20a it didnt like. I wonder if 20a was a beta bios?

Colif

Win 11 Master
So I turned off the PC. Had it restart normally, and it booted. But for some reason the PC wanted me to reset my 4 digit pin to log into Windows.
If you were on windows 11, its possible it had to reset the ftpm and that is used by Windows Hello to track the pin. Its possible I guess. I replaced CPU in this PC and all it needed me to do was reset fTPM, you would think changing CPU would make it reset PIN but no

Glad you can boot again.

No indication that F20a was a beta but its also only 4 days old. Its possible 11d was a beta as well, since its not showing any more. Makers shouldn't remove BIOS versions but this isn't the first time I have seen it, so I know they do. They often remove Beta versions.

Lesson learned? Only update BIOS if you have to. All that ones does is adds support for the new APU, so its possible its a little buggy as they often are when introducing new things.

Dec 17, 2023
So I had bios 11d on my system with no issues. I saw Gigabyte had a new Bios update 20a, so I installed that. Loading it in had no issues, but once it was loaded, the computer won't boot. I cleared the CMOS a few times to make sure, but under no circumstances will my system go to the boot screen. Last time I left it for a couple hours with still nothing, but this time I couldn't get the system to power down with the case power button. I had to throw the psu switch in the back. Anyone else having issues with 20a?
F20a seems to have issues. One install on a new system and windows 11 worked fine. My build is the same but windows 10. Already had the bios loaded on a usb so why not? Two hours later and I'm back on f11 and still don't have memory stability above 4800MHz at 64g.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Well bios 21a came out not long ago. I was thinking they may have fixed the boot problem I had with 20a, so I updated to 21a. Same issue as before. No boot. I'm wondering if the new Ryzen 8000 cpus actually have to be installed to use this bios? I find it strange I'm having the same issue again. I'm might have to do an emergency bios update again like last time, just to use the computer. I got bios 11 ready for that incase issues would crop up again, as they did.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Yup. Reverting back to F11 via the emergency method worked again. Ive come to the conclusion to not update to the new 20 series BIOS's unless the new CPUs coming out are installed. Question is- will it work even then? Also going back to F11 I had to redo my computer log in PIN for Microsoft. It seems it gets wiped out during this update.

LCT_17

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2016
Yup. Reverting back to F11 via the emergency method worked again. Ive come to the conclusion to not update to the new 20 series BIOS's unless the new CPUs coming out are installed. Question is- will it work even then? Also going back to F11 I had to redo my computer log in PIN for Microsoft. It seems it gets wiped out during this update.
what's the emergency method? Because I just flashed to F20 (Thanks Gigabyte Control Center) and now my SATA RAID drives don't have letters even though Windows 11 sees them.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Has anyone tried updating the bios on this motherboard past F11, but still running Ryzen 7000 CPUs? Im wanting to upgrade my CPU to the 9950X, because my 7950X needs to be sent in for warranty, so its a good time to replace it all. I'll resell the 7950X cpu with the replacement they hopefully give me (my APU is burned out).

But I dont want to update the bios to 31D if its going to be a problem on my board (until the new cpu comes in). Am I going to have a problem loading 31D? Last few times I tried updating the bios while still running the 7950X, it refused to boot. I had to revert back to F11 to get it all to work.