Boot failure after overclocking... what's the issue

Dantecui

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Hey guys,

I've recently oc'd my i7 6800k to 4.2Ghz @1.330V, it runs stable at all the stress tests and benchmarks I throw at it, temperatures are well under control, never going above 75C. However, everytime I power off the POWER SUPPLY, next time I boot I will always run into a boot failure which will lead me into bios asking me to change some settings or load recommended settings. What's the issue here? XMP is enabled, hyperthreading is enabled, I can't think of anything that's causing this.

Specs:
Case: Corsair 400C
MOBO: Gigabyte X99 Phoenix SLI
CPU: I 7 6800k
CPU cooler: Arctic cooling liquid freezer 240
Ram: 4*8g corsair vengeance led @3200mhz
GPU: Asus 1080 A8G
HDD: Seagate SSHD
PSU: Evga GQ850W

Solution
All good now guys! I flashed my BIOS to a beta version and set my ram to 1.35v, and no more boot failure!
You guys rock.

Hi Dantecui :)

Your MB supports 3200MHz OC RAM however the i7-6800k officially supports up to DDR4 2400/2133Mhz and anything above that is considered an OC.
What this means is it will depend on the strength of your CPUs IMC if it will work with your OC RAM. 32GB of 3000Mhz RAM is quite a strain on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller)
Your XMP profile may not be recognized and the OC is being rejected hence your boot failure.
In many cases this can be rectified with Bios intervention regarding your Primary Timings and DIMMs Voltage but no guarantee.
If you have no Bios experience, it can be frustrating to get them to work in which case return the OC ram and choose a RAM kit that have been tested and listed on the MB QVL at the frequency your CPU supports.

Dantecui

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
So in short... Do you think disabling XMP and set the RAM to 2400mhz will work?

Dantecui

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Thanks for replying! I'm currently on their newest official BIOS.

Dantecui

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Ok i tuned it down all the way to 2133 LOL... However I have no way of knowing until tomorrow, will give you guys a followup! I was thinking it might be the problem with the PSU, but I'm switching to a new one anyway.

Thanks for the reply!

Dantecui

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
All good now guys! I flashed my BIOS to a beta version and set my ram to 1.35v, and no more boot failure!
You guys rock.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS