Question Boot failure on Laptop

maelstrom4

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I've had this Toshiba Laptop for quite some time and it has become painfully slow to start up. I tried to run multiple operating systems on it via USB but to no avail they all showed "boot failed" even after making the USB bootable using Rufus the USB booted on my Desktop aswell. Secondly I bought an SSD and tried putting deepin Linux on that but it refused to boot even though it was showing in the bios. The laptop always boots when it has it's old HDD. There is no secure boot option or Legacy/UEFI option in my BIOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 👍

Toshiba C660
6gb ram
i3 m370

Last edited:

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Change your boot order to usb as top of the list and see what happens. If all else fails try the normal boot of your old HDD, then enter BIOS and boot sequence to your USB and restart. If that loads up then shut off your laptop and then connect the newer SSD and see if that kickstarts it. Good luck!

maelstrom4

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Change your boot order to usb as top of the list and see what happens. If all else fails try the normal boot of your old HDD, then enter BIOS and boot sequence to your USB and restart. If that loads up then shut off your laptop and then connect the newer SSD and see if that kickstarts it. Good luck!
I've already tried that and it just takes a while to load then says boot failed for anything other than my HDD. Do you think my BIOS might be preventing that from booting? I appreciate your help.

I tried to run multiple operating systems on it via USB but to no avail they all showed "boot failed" even after making the USB bootable using Rufus
Windows 7 - 10 don't require Rufus ─ if anything, people have more problems using Rufus than using the Microsoft-provided media creation utilities.

That said: Which operating systems did you try?

There is no secure boot option or Legacy/UEFI option in my BIOS.
You'll probably have to stick with Windows 7 (or Linux, if you want to try), then. I assume this means your HDD is setup for MBR, which Win 10 won't like.

maelstrom4

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Windows 7 - 10 don't require Rufus ─ if anything, people have more problems using Rufus than using the Microsoft-provided media creation utilities.

That said: Which operating systems did you try?

You'll probably have to stick with Windows 7 (or Linux, if you want to try), then. I assume this means your HDD is setup for MBR, which Win 10 won't like.
I tried deepin Linux and chrome OS ,Linux Mint . Every site said rufus was necessary.

maelstrom4

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Shouldn't be a problem, you just need to figure out how to get bootable media working - which also shouldn't be a problem (unless your laptop doesn't support booting from USB).
https://ibb.co/m0x09BH
here are pictures of the bios
would updating the bios be an option. Toshiba don't give bios updates to my laptop on Windows 10 but they do to windows 7. My bios says it's the 2011 version.

A BIOS update probably won't fix anything here and won't add support for UEFI. You're welcome to try, just know updating firmware is risky (bad update = inoperable computer).

MBR is more for legacy operating systems (Win 7 or earlier). I'd convert to GPT if installing Win 10 or Linux Mint GPT, though I don't know if Mint requires GPT. It may run on both.

TRENDING THREADS