[SOLVED] Boot failure

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
So when I try to power on my PC, I get the "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I have only 1 hdd, and this is my 1th boot device in the bios. But sometimes it manages to boot properly and when it does it works fine, and if I reboot my PC it works as it should. I'm 99% sure that my hdd is the proplem, because it's pretty old and slow, but I don't have much experience so I want some to be sure what is the problem. Oh and when I don't shut down my PC, just take it to sleep mode instead, and after 9-10 hours when I try to wake it up, it's either restarts, or I get a blue screen and then it restarts. Sorry if my English is not the best, I hope you understand it.

Solution
I have no other hdd or ssd. I want to try it out in another setup, and then if it's bad, I maybe can buy a smaller ssd. ( because I'm a student and my parents don't really want to buy one now, and I can't work until summer)
Trying that C drive in a different system is no real test.
It may fail to boot up, even if it is in perfect condition.
I would first replace the hard drive because you know it is old and slow and you 99% suspect it...and if this is the case...why would you even want to risk using it as if you are correct it will probably fail soon.

You can either clone your hard drive to a new one or do a clean Windows install.

Then I would run it and see what happens.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
I would first replace the hard drive because you know it is old and slow and you 99% suspect it...and if this is the case...why would you even want to risk using it as if you are correct it will probably fail soon.

You can either clone your hard drive to a new one or do a clean Windows install.

Then I would run it and see what happens.
I have no other hdd or ssd. I want to try it out in another setup, and then if it's bad, I maybe can buy a smaller ssd. ( because I'm a student and my parents don't really want to buy one now, and I can't work until summer)

USAFRet

Titan
Trying that C drive in a different system is no real test.
It may fail to boot up, even if it is in perfect condition.

Solution
if your short on cash new egg has program called quadpay..they break down the cost of an item into 4 even payments like layaway of the old days without any fee's. look into a one or 2tb drive that on sale for 50.00 or so that cost you 10.00 each payment in quad pay.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
if your short on cash new egg has program called quadpay..they break down the cost of an item into 4 even payments like layaway of the old days without any fee's. look into a one or 2tb drive that on sale for 50.00 or so that cost you 10.00 each payment in quad pay.
We ordered an ssd, it will arrive on tuesday. I hope it will help me out.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
So we bought an ssd, I installed windows on it, downloaded the drivers and windows updates, and it's working pretty well. Now the problem is, that all of my data is on my hdd, but I can't use it. There are no partitions for it, and when I try to do something about it, I only see 23gb out of like 300gb, and I can't even use it.IMAGE On this picture, the 223gb is my ssd, and the other 23gb is my hdd, except it should be like 300gb. I assume that my hdd is just dead now, but my bigger problem has been solved, so I'm happy with it. Thanks for the advices!

TRENDING THREADS