Boot from a USB in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

grundlestilskn

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hey guys,

My grandma recently purchased a laptop and it came with Windows 8 installed on it already. Personally i think its more difficult to use for my grandparents lol. I have windows 7 on a usb drive, and im trying to make it so the laptop boots off of the USB drive. The only problem is i am having an extremely hard time figuring out how to go about it. I tried searching but failed, any help ASAP would be awesome!!

Thanks,
Drew

grundlestilskn

Honorable
May 1, 2012
yea i figured out how to get to the UEFI firmware settings and i went to the BOOT tab and it has a list of the selections...it has 8 selections. There are 3 different USB selections to choose from, USB FDD:, USB HDD:, and USB CDROM:. I tried moving each to the number 1 spot but nothing seems to change

When you get those options, does it display the drive's size?
Also inside the bios, or the uefi, you might have to go in and make sure that your specific USB thumbdrive is bootable; some bios' are very granular like that, let you let select which one's you want to be able to display as a bootable device.

grundlestilskn

Honorable
May 1, 2012
nope i get windows 7 from my school which is an online download. I just reinstalled windows 7 on my desktop easily, i just dont know how to boot off the usb drive using windows 8, dang..

raider03

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Thats because you first have to go into the actual bios settings and change the bootloader from UEFI to legacy and then make sure the external drive is first on the boot sequence.

Please check your licensing requirements. This sounds like a licensing violation.

Also, booting off a USB key is likely to lead to a very slow-running system. Are you planning on installing win7 on that system from the USB key, or just using the USB key as the boot drive for normal operation?

Twizatch

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

How about you stop playing Internet cop and help the guy/girl out. And if you pay attention to the thread, you can easily figure out that they are trying to install off the usb device.

How about noting the age of the post you're responding to and the status of the poster? Moderators aren't "internet cops" but are entitled to make comments within the Rules of Tom's like anyone else. Using a Windows 7 OS which has probably been used elsewhere is at least, questionable and WyomingKnott was quite right to point it out.

Considering this is your first post under this name, it doesn't look good for your Tom's Hardware future, Twizatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS